OTB (Off The Ball)

Being a crazy bastard isn’t all coke and hookers, you know.

It often dovetails nicely with the preparation of the dinner/doing some work at home . I would often get an hour or so of it, sometimes more.

*‘It’ being off the ball not hookers and coke. They would interfere with both work and dinner preparation, particularly when it comes to the ‘kick’ off a stew, perhaps.

Fucking epic sport. And all while holding their breath.

I had never heard of this before.

Two teams occupy opposite halves of a small swimming pool or field and take turns sending a “raider” into the other half, to win points by tackling members of the opposing team; then the raider tries to return to his own half, holding his breath and chanting the word “Kabaddi” during the whole raid.

Is this for real :smiley:

And we the viewers were holding our breath as well.

My beloved West Bengal had some incredible battles with Punjab and Services. Real top level sport.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 851314, member: 183”]And we the viewers were holding our breath as well.

My beloved West Bengal had some incredible battles with Punjab and Services. Real top level sport.[/quote]

Amazing sport. We played it at home for years. Great craic.

Stopped listening to it months ago. Apart from the odd time Johnny Giles is on.

[quote=“Juhniallio, post: 851304, member: 53”]Being a crazy bastard isn’t all coke and hookers, you know.

It often dovetails nicely with the preparation of the dinner/doing some work at home . I would often get an hour or so of it, sometimes more.
.[/quote]

Snap.

Chopping carrots with a sharp knife can be a testing activity when that jtter cunthead Graham Hunter starts blowing shite though.

[quote=“Juhniallio, post: 851276, member: 53”]I know you love the guy, I know you probably know him and for all we know (given the amount of spare time you have on your hands) you could actually be him, but as a broadcaster/pundit /contributor /analyst / general head on the radio, he’s pisspoor. It’s not that he doesn’t try, in fact, sometimes he tries too hard. It’s common to hear him getting giddy at how funny the gag he’s about to tell is until it hits the inevitable stonewall silence. Or he thinks his experience of football is equal to that of professional sports people and takes the Jim Beglin route (when I used to play for Liverpool in the early eighties…).

I actually think his personal development as a broadcaster would be helped by him contributing for a shorter period each night, rather than letting him chip in inanely on every topic they cover.[/quote]

Love is a bit strong, but I respect the guy, he speaks his mind and while that may let him down sometimes, its a better road to be on than some other sycophants that are rolled out to us. He’s raw as fuck coming into the role, and the fact that he has a profile prior means some people will already have their minds made up with regards it. I think there’s great potential there however, and the one thing about Parkinson is that he’s a worker and you can see the improvement in him already since he got the gig. Whether he’ll have enough to go further is another thing and I will say that he wouldn’t have gotten a run out anywhere else in the media thats for sure. Things have fallen well for him here, and he seems determined to take advantage.

There’s a backhanded compliment in there, but its there alright, and you’re right, he’s no fool. Never was.

I mostly turn off when Giles is on at this stage, he’s just dreadful to listen to. However I will add that I stalled last night when he was speaking about players retirements and their treatment from Clubs and it was most enjoyable, so perhaps there’s some hope for him still.

It’s kitchen or car listening though. Would not go out of my way to catch it.

Podcasts mate, the way forward, pick up the pieces you want, drop the pieces you don’t. They’re a godsend.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 851377, member: 180”]
I mostly turn off when Giles is on at this stage, he’s just dreadful to listen to. However I will add that I stalled last night when he was speaking about players retirements and their treatment from Clubs and it was most enjoyable, so perhaps there’s some hope for him still.[/quote]
I sometimes listen to Giles for comedic reasons, also his time on air usually coincides with me driving to football. I actually remarked to @Bandage last night that Giles had made some rare decent points and was genuinely relatively interesting last night.

Last week they were talking about great players and Gilroy asked Giles about Puskas. He said, “He was a Hungarian lad Ger, played for Real Madrid.” Fascinating insight!

Yeah, just started using them recently. Use 5 live ones mainly.

Newstalk are generally good for the podcasts, worth dipping in and out of for a bit anyway

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 851377, member: 180”]Love is a bit strong, but I respect the guy, he speaks his mind and while that may let him down sometimes, its a better road to be on than some other sycophants that are rolled out to us. He’s raw as fuck coming into the role, and the fact that he has a profile prior means some people will already have their minds made up with regards it. I think there’s great potential there however, and the one thing about Parkinson is that he’s a worker and you can see the improvement in him already since he got the gig. Whether he’ll have enough to go further is another thing and I will say that he wouldn’t have gotten a run out anywhere else in the media thats for sure. Things have fallen well for him here, and he seems determined to take advantage.
[/quote]

I have no prior opinion on him at all. My annoyance stems from his jackassery and foolishness half the time he’s on there. And in the same way it infuriates me when RTE pundits obviously know nothing about football outside of the premier league, and don’t seem to see it as their remit, it annoys me how often Parkinson is asked about something and has no idea but offers a guess based on something which happened at training one night ten years ago or a poor joke. Lyng on the other hand has an ability to make decent points often relating to the human condition or psychology. Even if he’s talking shit, it’s enjoyable and thought provoking.
Having said all that, you have a point with him being raw coming into it and not getting a chance anywhere else. Good luck to him on that front. With a bit of luck he’ll grow into it but it’ll need a fair bit of that hard work you say he’s capable of.

The 2FM show (game on ???) is far better imo

You’re thinking of Ball Breakers

Too short to truly get any in depth discussions going and stuck with dual rogues gallery or RTE pundits. Fine for a short attention span perhaps.

100% agree on that and also MBB on podcasts
wednesday night rugby football with gerry thornley and fester wood is one i always listen to in order to reload on ammo for the anti rugby football thread and also if i want to punt the weekends rugger, gerry calls it well more often then not.
the GAA podcast during the summer was great on a monday night and the interviews.
the football show is tedious at best and there is only about 15 mins of real content in it,
its a driving to work podcast show for me or if im taking an extended shit / shave combo in the evening.

the new wave of football analyst really grates me tho, ken earley, “miguel” delaney, yer man macdonnell from the indo, graham hunter… these retards trying to provide some alternative view on the game , i dont know what these guys have done to deserve airspace really. I know lads complain about Sadlier, but he has played the game and knows how it works and i always think his points are well constructed, if you have played football you can relate to Sadlier and what he is saying, even if he is a whiney cunt at times.

Only caught a few minutes of Woolys ‘debate’ with Lyng. He was just spouting shite to be honest I thought, and whilst he had a valid point at the back of it all, the way he spoke made him sound ridiculous. Was going on about hurling isnt popular, and when put to him that it generates the same TV audience as football he flat out said it doesnt and wouldnt listen to it. He’s all for giving his opinion, but will not listen to anyone elses.

I have to say though, I also caught his ‘woolys’ awards on Wednesday night, and though that was a good bit of craic. Wasnt afraid to call out bluffers and players when usually the media plays the normal ‘ah sure they are all great’ card. The worst manager of the year was good, had 3 nominees, and then had Micko as the winner despite not being a nominee as he knew the crew wouldnt let him put him in the nominees.

agreed,
he sounds like a complete simpleton but his analysis of gaelic football i very good.
that’s all he should be allowed talk about tho, the whole " everton supporter" thing is brutal