Other World Cup 2022 Qualifiers

The Swiss continue to prove me right time and time again. A cracking side

1 Like

The (partially) Protestant brethren have got one over on the Catholics tonight.

Up your bollix Chellini!

Italy me hoop!

Important win for Scotland, 2-0 over Denmark.

Means they will be one of the six seeded teams in the play-offs and get a home semi-final draw.

Costly defeat for Poland at home to Hungary which means they will likely be unseeded and be away in their play-off semi-final.

Shades of 1958. Top of the table Italy went to Windsor Park for their last qualifier for the 1958 World Cup. Ireland beat them 2-1 to knock out Italy and qualify themselves for the finals in Sweden.

Failure to win at Windsor tonight, not quite as catastrophic for Italy as 1958. Italy will get another chance with all the other losers in the repechage.

1 Like

They’ve been defending the border better than that cross for the winner.

Who’s guaranteed a slot as one of the seeded six and who’s in poll position for the unclaimed seeded slots?

fair play to NI
that was good stuff, they’re at a low ebb with players coming thru and like us they’re finacially bottom of the barrel with Barraclough… I like them tho and Wales, i love their collective team spirit and i wish them well

Ian Barclough in a very similar position to Stephen Kenny. Neil Lennon debating his chances of a contract extension there. Even finished on 9 points from 8 games just like Kenny.

Portugal, Scotland, Italy and Russia will be seeded. There will be six seeded teams and six unseeded.

Sweden and Poland currently occupy 5th and 6th in the seedings table but one or both could be pushed into the unseeded pot tomorrow night. Wales will be seeded if they beat Belgium tomorrow and a draw might be good enough to make them seeded, depending what happens in the Holland/Norway/Turkey group.

In the unseeded pot you’ll have North Macedonia, Austria, probably the Czech Republic and one of Finland or Ukraine.

Have Wales secured a play off place yet, or could a loss to Belgium end up eliminating them?

Wales are in the play-offs one way or another.

Both themselves and the Czech Republic, who are in the same World Cup qualifying group, won their respective 2020 Nations League groups.

Whichever of them loses out in the race for second spot tomorrow night will take up one of the spots reserved for the two best Nations League group winners to finish outside the top two of a World Cup qualifying group.

1 Like

I dunno mickee. I see where you’re coming from, but their supporters are a hateful bunch on the whole.

1 Like

Italy and Portugal can meet in play offs. Hopefully not.

I don’t want particularly want to see Portugal go through.

there are elements to them yes i 100% agree- soccer does attract the LCD and tbh im not sure id have any ambition to atttend a game in Windsor park
i was chatting to a few of them when Glentoran came down to us- now these lads were sound, but Glentoran now are pretty mixed playing and coaching despite their senior team having a predominantly loyalist (hardcore) fanbase… anyway these fellas were telling me that - the NI/ROI rivalry is poision only inside in NI and that some NI based ROI fans are as bad as the worst of their loyalist brigde- they were telling me that when they drove down to rosslare or what not to go to Euro2016 there were fellas wishing them well , safe trip , etc nut the bile only starts in the 6 counties… now anyway

look on their current squad and recent history, Mick o neill really got a good thing going there and i like the fact that lads like Lavery and Bradley now want to play senior football with the lads they came up the ranks with - that shows something really positive and should be applauded really - its a catalyst of change.
Their women’s team really have it - you have young ones playing camogie and then soccer for Linfield and NI… i think that’s great.
i was really really impressed with Glentoran now… they have something really good there and i fucking hope the sectarian cunts dont drag it down but shur thats why they exist- to destroy any good
Our kids generation i hope can change this bullshit in ireland

6 Likes

Do England always get San Marino in their group? They seem to play them fairly regularly.

They’ve been drawn together a few times alright.

1 Like

And even prior to that along with Kane the previous two England players to score four in a game were both against San Marino, David Platt and Ian Wright so going back 25 years of a rivalry