Other World Cup 2022 Qualifiers

Simon Jordan on talksport was brilliant on this yesterday. Let’s see what England are made of when they get a tough group draw and don’t have Sweden or Ukraine in a quarter final. He suspects they’ll fall flat on their arse and Gareth has gotten very lucky

Italy would eat them when it matters. Something watery about this Portuguese side. Worse than the sum of their parts

1 Like

I’d be surprised if the Portugooses made it through the playoffs

That’s a great post. I hope so too.

Italy won a very average Euros . France lost focus in 1 game - Germany were a rabble - Spain lacked firepower . Belgium 2 best players weren’t near fit

A negative England team got to final

Italy always make a balls of qualifying and group stages.

I only hope they get an easy tie, I’d worry about having to play the likes of Sweden, Poland or Portugal.

It’s a joke so few European teams qualify.

1 Like

I thought France were pretty poor throughout relative to the machine they were in 2018. Only drew with Hungary and Portugal in the group stages. They never really put it together, in hindsight it wasn’t that big a shock that a well organised and committed Swiss team beat them

1 Like

They were excellent v Swiss but tuned off for 10 mins and paid the price

And Portugal got nowhere

France aren’t really a team, huge talent but not a collective unit and their defence is honking.

They’re the ultimate tournament team. It’s why their trophy cabinet is heaving whilst England have worn sweet fuck all

They were in 2018 in fairness to them. There was a structure to them and a togetherness and they won the WC at a canter somewhat. Some of Deschamps selections for and at the Euros were odd and seemed to unsettle them. I think Benzema coming back was the right call from a football perspective but completely backfired as it upset the balance within the team and brought an unnecessary sideshow.

That, and England being stone useless.

If they got out the group stage they are always a danger to win but always seem to labour.

Made a big mess of the WC 2002 group and just about got through, went out early with 2004 Euros as they drew 3 games, Euro 2008 they needed a Holland to win a dead rubber for them to go through, Buffon also saved a penalty that would have put them out after the second game, can remember them needing to beat Scotland in the last game to qualify for a major tournament before, exited the group stage in 2010 and 2014 WCs and didn’t qualify for WC 2018.

Italy also seem to make hard work of the group stages and qualifying but if they get to the knockout stage they’re a serious threat. The likes of England usually steamroll qualification before being found out against the big teams. Italy generally tend to labour with the small teams but turn it on against the big guns.

The Swiss are very good, and their flag is a big plus

4 Likes

Julio “Dad Jokes” Geordio

1 Like

Any chance the Dutch mess it up tonight?

I assume Haaland is still out injured for Norway which is a massive loss. They have to win to make the play offs so should at least be going hard to get a result

1 Like

Every chance

2 Likes

KOH

1 Like