Paddy Jackson & Stuart Olding -treat women poorly

I dont know you. Or the people you say think they were hard done by. Thats my only claim on the matter, that i dont know anyone who thinks they were hard done by.

I was trying to gently point out the stupidity of Mike hunt saying they could get another club if they were of a higher standard. They’re obviously good enough for club rugby

1 Like

Ah yes. Indeed. they are good enough to get into any squad in europe.

They’re morally bankrupt pal, its a professional game with banks sponsoring it. Those messages were out of order end of…particularly in the context of a rape trial. Reckon Gilroy shouldve had his contract revoked as well if they were being genuine and fair.

Dont think the IRFU had any choice really with regards protecting the brand/franchises.

Do you mean mortally or morally

Huh? Pretty sure they were in the hapenny place in the wider context of the trial

I had just edited it, could make an argument for both, but id say morally personally.

I disagree mate, those whatsapp messages when they were released by the defence counsel early in the trial finished them playing rugby here forever.

Gilroy can count himself lucky as thats whats revoked the two other lads contracts.

Morally bankrupt? A bit strong, but the texts were out of order, even if neither jackson or olding sent the ones everyone is up in arms about…but that shouldn’t come into it I suppose.
It was a commercial decision though, otherwise a suspension etc would probably have been deemed appropriate

1 Like

Jess lads, if ye flog this thing anymore, it’ll be brought up in the dead racehorses thread

1 Like

Sobered up?

I’d think the damage to their careers from the messages were always secondary to the damage a rape conviction was going to do to their lives as a whole. Sacking Gilroy would be setting a fairly ridiculous standard to adhere to.

Bombing buses you mean surely?

Fully agree regarding Gilroy, he wasnt involved in the case whatsoever.

But the narrative that the IRFU released on Saturday morning suggested that the whatsapp messages were the material issue regards Olding and Jackson having their contracts revoked.

My point is, whats the difference then?

Unfortunately

The WhatsApp messages were absolutely not the material reason their contracts were revoked.

3 Likes

Thats not the case really. The IRFU statement made no reference to the messages. It only mentioned the court proceedings. It was short and basically didnt make much of an effort to explain anything of their logic behind the decision.

1 Like

I presumed that was their basis, respect, inclusivity was mentioned in the IRFU statement…to be fair it wasnt v clear.

I put 2+2 together as did OTB when I was driving saturday morning, as they were found not guilty otherwise of any other crime other than disgusting disrespect of women in those messages.

Yeah everyone put 2 and 2 together. That was exactly what they wanted people to think. Because it reflects well on them. But there was no message. Or narrative. That is peoples own conclusions

In reality they forked over a years wages each to the two boys and left them walk out the door to a new club. They had only a year each left on the contract so if they really wanted to punish them they could have let them sitting idle for 12 months whilst paying them. same cost to the irfu.

This has actually given the two lads a bail out in that they will be paid twice for next season to all intents and purposes

2 Likes

It’ll be of less value to olding - he’ll probably lose his legal aid entitlement