Paris Olympics 2024

The Bard DELIVERS. He never fails.

https://twitter.com/RoyCurtis68/status/1819315682934223095

3 Likes

My earliest Olympic memory was my fathers good friend, Sean Drea finishing fourth in the single sculls in Montreal in 1976 after breaking the world record in the semi final.

It got a mention in Father Ted 20 years later.

11 Likes

What countywoman is she? Touch of a border accent from her.

This Tim Harnedy exudes Carkness

4 Likes

Donegal. Lives in Limerick. Married to Sam Lynch.

3 Likes

The kind of Cork lad who strolled into Croke Park for the hurling final expecting to win by 10 points roaring about Hoggie Baiā€¦

20 Likes

And like them lads, he had his cough softened yesterday in the double skulls.

My oulā€™ fella would occasionally impersonate Jimmy Mageeā€™s radio commentary on this, which he heard while sitting in the Cusack Stand upper deck during the 1976 Leinster football final between Dublin and Meath.

ā€œAh Peter Michael Kolbe from West Germany, what a class act he isā€¦what a wonderful Olympic champion heā€™s going to be, but Drea has that silver lookā€¦Drea has that silver lookā€¦Drea has that bronze lookā€¦Drea has that bronze lookā€¦oh Drea has been beaten into fourthā€¦and Kolbe loses gold on the line!ā€

7 Likes

Incredible crowd there tbf, we love our rowing so we do

Weā€™re not going to medal here, hopefully the Romanians can pip the Brits on the line, I love when the Brits lose on the line.

Jimmy Magee was an iconic commentator but I always felt a trick was missed by not letting him have a go at Formula 1.

You could almost hear ā€œJuan Pablo Montoya leads from Giancarlo Fisichellaā€

1 Like

Yee man beside Lodge here thinks weā€™re much further ahead than we are

1 Like

10m outside the medals. No chance here unfortunately

There was a banked cycling track for years in the Peopleā€™s Park in Waterford. Only the remains of it left now sadly. We used to have great crack racing around it as children. Sometimes weā€™d even use bikes.

2 Likes

I get the feeling POD really didnā€™t like the Swiss

Iā€™d admire him for that.

Iā€™ve met Sean. A lovely man. His son is also an alright sort.

1 Like

Fuck the Swiss. Cunts to a man.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s Oā€™Donovans brother at these days

Oā€™Donovan calls it a fluke that heā€™s medaled at 3 games :joy:

Heā€™s some WUM.

2 Likes