Paris Olympics 2024

Wiffen heat on now

Ok, we have a new Olympic favourite. His name is Kishane Thompson, he just basically strolled across the line to win the 1st Menā€™s 10m heat. I think this chap is going to be tremendous fun.

This is another reason the Olympics has it over the World Cup.

The World Cup is played in FIFAland.

The Olympics cannot ever be divorced from where it is held. The Barcelona Olympics was so visually stunning that it propelled the city into the top tier of world tourist destinations. Youā€™d canā€™t beat a Mediterranean setting.

Iā€™m trying to work out what European cities are next in line to host.

The full list of European cities to host the Olympics is:

Athens
Paris
London
Stockholm
Antwerp
Paris
Amsterdam
Berlin
London
Helsinki
Rome
Munich
Moscow
Barcelona
Athens
London
Paris

The next two are outside Europe. The Olympics has never been held outside Europe three times in a row so 2036 youā€™d think will be the next one.

Iā€™d say Berlin, Rome or Istanbul will be next up. Maybe Madrid. I wonder would Vienna ever bid.

Berlin apparently thought of bidding for 2036 but very wisely decided to drop their interest.

1 Like

Fastest man this year. Looks like he could break 9.7 at some stage.

Thatā€™s a very short race.

1 Like

These lads make a 30 length race look handy out.

1 Like

Madrid would make sense alright.

Taking control now.

Soccer shouldnt be an Olympic event. I agree the Olympics is a bigger event. The cost of hosting the Olympics is a massive burden on a country/city and is a hard justification. Taken cost out i think an Olympics in Budapest would be iconic. A beautiful part of the world the city and surrounding countryside

Nobody wants to hold the Olympics any more. They gave the next one to L.A as they were bidding to host this one.

Very likely they are held in as you say in fifa land in the future.

His PB was 10:21 two years ago.

Itā€™s Lyles from USA v Thompson of Jamaica.

The USA won 16 of first 25 100m Olympics. Have not won gold since 2004.

That would be gas actually

Some pace for a heat

Lyles was very disappointing there.

Is there heats and semis in this 1500m? Some amount of swimming

Thompson has already run faster than Lyles. Obviously thereā€™s only one Bolt but he looks like he could explode onto stage like Bolt in 2008.

Absolutely, he has the look of a lad who knows what heā€™s capable of, but wonā€™t tell us until the right moment.

Watching that Sprinter documentary on Netflix and there is something very unlikeable about Lyles.

Has the same kind of personality as Carl Lewis and Russell Wilson where everything just seems contrived and forced.

1 Like

That Swedish pole vault lad is class.

2 Likes

Different class. Not sure Iā€™ve ever seen a lad as completely dominant.