Paris Olympics 2024

Jacob’s was terrible there as well.

I saw a video a couple of weeks back which explained how for 1984 LA were persuaded to host it using existing venues because nobody else wanted it following on from Montreal’s financial disaster, but then because the LA Games were apparently very successful in terms of profit and legacy programmes, that persuaded other cities to start bidding again and that competition between bids led to lavish bids with massive cost overruns. You also had despotic regimes wanting to host Olympics as demonstrations of “national greatness” (ie. China and Russia). Now we have reached the point again where cities don’t want to bid because the Olympics has again become associated with massive financial black holes, and the IOC have once again returned to LA on the basis they will use existing venues.

Brisbane are already experiencing serious problems despite the basis of their hosting being “low cost”. There’s massive confusion still over what stadium they will even use as the main venue. It was originally supposed to be The Gabba but the current plan is to use the 1982 Commonwealth Games stadium trimmed down to 40k capacity. However this plan could still change in favour of going back to a redeveloped Gabba or an entirely new stadium.

Apparently Narendra Modi, the fascist quasi-dictator of India is hellbent on hosting 2036 at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad which holds 120k and hosted last year’s Cricket World Cup final, as a demonstration of “national greatness”. But well placed sources say this bid will fail. I don’t know. Istanbul is bidding for 2036 and you’d think Erdogan would have his eye on that as a demonstration of Turkish “national greatness”. The Arab petro-state dictatorships will no doubt have their eye on hosting soon too.

Paul Griffin’s meltdown was iconic.
“Are ye alroigh…are ya fookin alroigh…”

@Cheasty what is going on with the weightlifting? It doesn’t start until this Wednesday and it’s 10 categories squeezed into just 5 days.

Is weightlifting adopting the dumbed down microwave championship split season model or is this a direct reaction to Ronan Collins retiring from broadcasting?

1 Like

Is Louise Duffy doing the weightlifting commentary this time?

2 Likes

I always associate 100m heats with Frankie Fredericks and Marlene Ottey

8 Likes

Two NRs from our relay medley teams.

After Mona McSharry leg we were third but faded to seventh.

May be upgraded to sixth as Italians DQed

Who was the dud on the last leg?

Grace Davidson but she’s only 16. Asking a bit much to compete with the likes of Sarah Sjoestrom.

Two national records is all you can ask for.

5 Likes

16 year old. Not bad to get there at that age.

3 Likes

Experience will stand to her you’d imagine.

2 Likes

Incredible experience for her. Lads mighta been calling Adeleke a dud had we ran her 3 years ago in the relay but it woulda been great to get her first taste of it over in a relay manner.

Nice interview with the girls there. NR and smiles all round. All you can hope to do is set a PB and or NR in an Olympics and see where that leaves you then.

3 Likes

I can’t recall, was there a reason we couldn’t get a Kelly or Roche into the medals in an Olympics?

Is the a Blake anything to the yohann Blake fella?

Kelly got banned for racing in South Africa. Roche only went once

1 Like

Yeah I can only remember the lesser lights riding in them.

This Iraqi fella is shitting it

Snoop extracting the urine from the horsey set :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Poor palestinian athlete cut adrift in 800m repechage here after only 50m

Good to see her not get boxed in with no way out though.