Paris Olympics 2024

The co commentator jizzing himself for the first 1,000m and then realising he was in trouble.

3 Likes

BBC said he was done for half way through.

1 Like

Iā€™ve no idea but before the tournament the thoughts were sure he probably wouldnt medal in this one. Last couple of days hype ramped up based on 800ms performance.
Weve seen track athletes run 5 and 10ks with very different results. To my untrained eye they should have played down the chances instead of saying it would be a procession.

6 Likes

Did he not complain about being bored in the semi?

1 Like

Came across very well there in that interview

1 Like

The pundits called it right. There was a world record

You could tell he was in trouble a long way out.
Your man reckoned heā€™d turn water into wine with 600 metres to go. He was in trouble around 1000m to go when he was 4.8 - 4.9 m behind. These pundit fellas have the same hubris or energy as investment fund managers. Maybe they are. Fucking bluffers of the highest order. Tried to mask it then by saying there must be something wrong. Giving someone an easy uncontested lead is a big no no in any sport and ultimately you are relying on them to fall back to you rather than you catching them.

9 Likes

A confident Irish guy wins a Gold medal, talks himself up and then falls short winning bronze. I think this is amazing stuff. Heā€™s human, not a robot. Kids all over the country can learn from him. The lad could become our most decorated Olympian in his lifetime.

As @caulifloweredneanderthal said, we appear disappointed with Bronze. Wtf is going on like?! A medal a day since last week I think it still is. 20 years ago in Athens we came home with no medals. A reality check now and again isnā€™t a bad thing

12 Likes

The truth is the 1500 free is a more prestigious event than the 800 free. The 800 is a new event. The 1500 is a long and storied event, the longest event, the final individual event in the pool, won by all time greats like Kieran Perkins and Grant Hackett. Win it and youā€™re in their company as peers.

The 800 is grand of course, itā€™s an Olympic gold medal. But the 1500 is different gravy. Heā€™ll regret that one. Maybe this event is what heā€™ll focus on going forward.

:joy::joy:

As one other poster alluded to above, the olympic pundits lack the hoorism of their GAA counterparts.

2 Likes

Finke upped the dosage after Paddy bate him in the 800m, you could see the guilt in his face after he won even.

1 Like

I love RTEā€™s swimming coverage but thatā€™s an outstanding verbal knife attack on them so Iā€™ve given it a like.

1 Like

To be fair - the Aussie guy in the 800 flew off the start and then blew up.

Iā€™d say you only know how much there is in the tank when the pressure comes on properly and he underestimated how much the win earlier in the week took out of him emotionally. Something similar with Mona after her medal

1 Like

Still our best Olympics ever. Apart from Michelle Smith, has anyone else from Ireland won multiples medals in a single Olympics?

3 Likes

Editing as I read it wrong.

Short answer, No

China doing well here

The Chinese lad that swam the anchor there is a bullet

He left Golden boy in his wake

Will the Wiff do the 10km in the Seine