Paris Olympics 2024

Jesus it was an abomination that RTE put on that silly 3x3 basketball over the high jump.

I was actually expecting it to be decent looking by the atmosphere but there’s Too many stoppages from fussy refs to make it any good.

2 Likes

Ice Cube’s 3 on 3 league is the future

1 Like

That was just another sensational night of athletics. As the late great Jerry Kiernan used to always say there’s nothing quite like Championship racing and field events.

It’s great when you have long distance races on like women’s 5,000 final or men’s 3,000 steeplechase heats and you can cut in every now and again on an unfolding epic like that men’s pole vault final.

15 Likes

I’m not a fan of that myself. The gaelic language channel in Éire would at least continue to show the track action in a box in the screen corner, if they had the rights. You could easily miss something in the middle part of a long distance race - someone making a move, a collision or so on.

2 Likes

I watch it on Eurosport where they have a split screen when they go to the field events.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/rtesport/status/1820571291302207876?s=12&t=bXJwrvQZtvYSlZtV5jG_pw

1 Like

Semi final is Wednesday mate. You might need a breather

Relay semi final

Womens badminton final was sensational. Just caught up with it.

I’d love to get a definitive list of Olympic finals where a strong favourite was mugged off.

Kipyegon tonight was the archetype of a strong favourite undone by championship racing.

Nourredine Morceli in the 1992 1500 metres was an unbackable favourite and failed to perform. Hicham El Guerrouj in the same event in 2000. Both completed their redemption arcs four years later.

Sonia was strong favourite in Atlanta but she wasn’t mugged off by the racing, what happened happened.

Sebastian Coe, 800 metres in 1980
Mary Decker, 3,000 metres in 1984.

Discovery+ have an incredible service this Olympics. Its mind blowing

2 Likes

Ice Cube started a pro league. I think its called big 3.

NBA are pushing back massively

1992 final in the 10k, remind us all what happened again?

Their first day together at LSU.

Sophie O’Sullivan up first in the 1500m in a few minutes with Sarah Healy to follow.

RTÉ prioritising the pony vaulting over the 1500m :rage:

6 Likes

O’Sullivan 7th. Just misses out. PB.

2 Likes

She’d a bad bump with the japaneses sushi did