Paris Olympics 2024

Imagine being absolutely fucked round the last lap, trying to dig the last bit out of yourself for a sprint when youā€™re already cooked, and then meeting a big massive hurdle which will be sore as fcuk if you hit it and into a pond then :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

That big wall thing at the rds

One my best friends is a full time show jumper. Itā€™s absolutely soul destroying trying to make a living out of it. He went at it straight from school. Heā€™d a good leaving and can only assume heā€™s absolutely regretting it now but you probably only need one big
Touch.

Iā€™d say anybody working with animals full time can relate. Itā€™s 7 days a week every day of the year.

What was the name of the army captain that was a well known show jumper in the 80s? Used to be on summer holidays in a mobile home in Ballybunion, a rainy day the show jumping in the RDS would be all youā€™d have on TV.
His name is escaping me

1 Like

Iā€™d an N64 when I was younger so never saw the value of showjumping

Itā€™s free mate

Con Power?

Possibly, Im thinking Gerry something though?

Cian Oā€™Connorā€™s bronze remains our only pony vaulting medal. We are a more successful gymnastics country.

1 Like

Went to the google there, Gerry Mullins it was

1 Like

Those hurdles dont fall. Only 1 winner if you hit them

1 Like

Iā€™ve a bone to pick with some of the scheduling at this Olympics. The individual showjumping used to be a staple of the final Sunday morning of the Games.

Barcelona 1992 was a good example of this when you had a classic Germany v Holland battle on the final Sunday morning with Ludger Beerbaum edging out Piet Raymakers for the gold medal. Tremendous sporting viewing that morning and lunchtime with Pakistan finishing off England at the Oval to win the test series and end David Gowerā€™s career, and Marty Morrissey plĆ”mĆ”sing the hell out of the Down hurlers in the curtain raiser of the Ye Olde All-Ireland Hurling semi-final double header.

Kellie Harringtonā€™s final is tonight. Boxing finals should be held on the final weekend. You need things to build to a crescendo across different sports.

It remains a massive bone of contention for me that the menā€™s marathon is no longer the final event of the Games and the winner does not come into the stadium ahead of the closing ceremony.

2 Likes

Your recall is incredible.

1 Like

Where is the winner coming up?

I am absolutely delighted for Keely btw. She looked ill before the race with nerves.

A waste of moneyā€¦ The essential childhood viewing was 50 years ago, time to move on

Commandant Gerry Mullins. A proper army man like Dermot Early. Not a cadet like McStay

5 Likes

Jesus the accent of this commentator on the diving

Very impressively put

Lads getting excited about horse jumping because itā€™s something kids like. Kids grew out of that shit when they saw it for what it was, bizarre than some didnā€™t it seems