Paris Olympics 2024

Not today. Off to some Hockey match now and then Kellie this evening.

4 Likes

4 Likes

The interviewer here on RTE sounds like heā€™s talking to a relative of someone that died in a car accident

1 Like

We love an English born athlete in a niche sport that gets nowhere near a final

Puissance, flatty

I just remember they used put it up a block higher, and we won fcuk all til that, John Tracy and Johnny Logan.

Three Finns into the Menā€™s Javelin final. They love their Javelin in Finland.

3 Likes

We have a large horse racing industry but we seem to struggle to make an impact at the Olympics in those events.

Perhaps we should be focusing more on Gold Medals than Gold Cups (and the horrendous impact that horse racing has on peopleā€™s lives) if we are going to be putting so much money into that animal.

3 Likes

It was live sport on TV. There wasnā€™t a lot of it in those days. Bar horse racing.

3 Likes

Captain/commandant Gerry Mullins was from athlacca as far as I remember.

Should be related to his namesake in the racecourse @BruidheanChaorthainn

1 Like

Gerry Mullins. Con Power was good but he became shit when he left the army and lost the good horses.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not overly sure tbh.

They are completely different structures outside of the Olympics, in terms of how the horses are owned and compete. A top show jumping horse to keep and train specifically for the Olympics would cost more than the grants for 10/15 athletes.

They also love their PesƤpallo - their national game.

We have the riders we just donā€™t have the wealthy owners to hold onto the horses.

That does it so, give more money to horsey horse to create wealthy owners.

1 Like

Not a word since from @TreatyStones and one fella didnā€™t even complete the course.

If an Irish athlete failed to finish a race, heā€™d be asking for all funding to be pulled.

4 Likes

I wouldnā€™t begrudge any athlete who reaches an olympic final

1 Like

Sure 30 made the final in the horse jumping

2 Likes

It looks like Sharlene will miss out on a semi-final appearance unfortunately. A high quality repechage like youā€™d see in TFK COTY contests.

1 Like