Paris Olympics 2024

Iā€™d give them proportional support, and only fund them from bets made on the sport. Ditto greyhound racing. Iā€™ve no problem with anyone who wants to raise, train, ride or race horses, provided they do it responsibly and pay for it themselves.

Iā€™d boot anyone found to have mistreated an animal into jail.

Id redirect most of the money into soccer as thatā€™s something that virtually every able-bodied person can play as its criminally underfunded and under-resourced in Ireland.

2 Likes

Dutch 1-0 up from a Penalty Stroke. Umpire referred his own decision to the Video umpire. Good umpiring.

It is not ā€œpropped upā€ by government money. For fucks sake you canā€™t be that thick, can you? It is the unusual circumstance of the Irish and British governments that they allow bookmakers to exist and donā€™t allow the sport to rightfully own its betting rights. In any other country in the world the organization thatā€™s putting in the sport controls the betting and takes its cut which is used to fund prize money. The sport exists mostly as a vehicle for gambling. There used to be a government imposed tax on bets which accomplished this funding, but bookies being the horrible cunts they are moved off shore. The current situation is a half arsed attempt to rectify this. Go to a proper pari-mutuel set up like the rest of the world and it would be self sustaining, no need for govt involvement.

1 Like

Adeleke with a great draw for the semi

1 Like

Who has made the profit here?

Has the Irish state funnelled money to the industry who flip it for profits and to other countries who then benefit from Olympics medals?

2-0. Brinkman with an absolute rocket.

Iā€™m not sure what your point is here, but what Olympic money exactly was funneled to those breeders? The Irish government has always assisted the horse breeding industry in Ireland, going back 80 plus years, in the same way it assists many other agricultural practices, because they historically were significant part of the economy.

Okay lads, enough lies about horsey horse. Take it to another thread now.

I presume itā€™s all over with now anyway

90ā€™s Puma Kings were the greatest football boot OF ALL TIME

Current versions are very plasticky or something.

Iā€™m asking about where the ROI goes here.

I can see with the horrible horse racing industry a vibrant and blood sucking gambling industry. Iā€™m not seeing it in something of public value the Olympics.

Thereā€™s no ROI in the Olympics, only team Ireland

Youā€™ve completely lost me.

https://twitter.com/JayMotty/status/1820552149929209988?t=rGVe4LZVjf_5n3dFm4ICcw&s=19

2 Likes

My friend bought one of those horses. He died in a car accident. His sister competed on it before selling it after the rds show a few years back.

It had nothing to do with any funding from anyone. So Iā€™m not sure what your point is.

People are employed in the breeding, raising, feeding shoeing, transporting, breaking, training of horses. I think that is your ROI, just like when the gubmint pumps money into any other industry with grants, tax breaks etc. Iā€™m not really sure why we are having this convo, as it seems blindingly obvious.
The Olympics are only tangential to all this.

Heā€™s mixing up thoroughbred industry with sports horses I think.

Maybe taxpayer money for horsey sports should be targeted towards winning horsey medals at the Olympic Games proper rather than winners at the self-proclaimed ā€˜Olympics of National Hunt Racingā€™ - Cheltenham.

1 Like

Timmy McCarthy used to commentate on it and heā€™d say ā€˜boom shak athlacca!ā€™ as heā€™d clear the final fence

3 Likes

Why would need they such grants if the horses are worth that much?

There are people making serious profits.

10s of millions a year being given to specific events in Ireland. Why?

Perhaps if the prize money shifted to prize money for equestrian events instead of grief hole race courses that just feast on addiction.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/1106/1333469-public-money-funding-horse-racing-prizes/

1 Like