Paris Olympics 2024

Some people do not understand the value of a commentator or pundit who engages people. They miss what television sport is.

Television sport is a drama and it requires characters on the pitch/track/pool/court and off it.

RTEā€™s stalwart minority sport commentators make us feel things. We donā€™t hear them much. They are old friends and they remind us of summer holidays and long evenings and being young and fab and carefree and invincible. They remind us of summers of possibility, of sun and girls and music and booze and other illicit substances.

This is true of Nick Oā€™Hare, Jerry Kelly and Timmy McCarthy as it was true of Tony Oā€™Donoghue of Athletics and Noel Andrews of Boxing. Whispering John Oā€™Donovan is threatening to move into this category and Podrick Lodge has now firmly established himself as the Voice Of Rowing. Eric Donovan is making a niche for himself and we need to hear more from him.

Mick Dowling was Mr. Reassurance. Jerry Kiernan was Cranky Mr. Summer.

5 Likes

Said Aouita ran injured in 1988. He was initially going for a treble of 800, 1,500 and 5,000.

14 minutes to fill, Jesus this could be like an experiment. Bernard will be feasting on Kennyā€™s entrails by the end of this

Kenny thinks Kelly needs to listen to the voices in her head

This wonā€™t end well lads

5 Likes

Fucking delayed.

Ah Jesus and I have the young buck in the morning,

Kenneth

Potential WWIII kickstarter on Eurosport

Kenneth and the other lad need Bernard to help carry them over that 13 minute timekilling hurdle.

Boom Shaka lacka

He answered me any time Iā€™ve called him Kenny, Iā€™ll not be changing

Three seconds quicker than his previous best.
American.
Extraterrestrial as some might say.

Salt o da erth doobs on now

Stephen Alkin has always been one of my favourites of this genre.

Has he been sighted this summer?

1 Like

Kenneth took a huge nervous sigh here after that vox pop. Heā€™s fading!

Every time they say ā€œKennethā€ it reminds me of the character in Peep Show of that name

22:21 is the scheduled start time. Was just on PP. KH is 1/7ā€¦ I thought she was only Luke warm favourite so had a nibble on her 9/2 opponent. Too big a price with potential for corrupt scoring etc

I donā€™t recall him ever featuring much during the Olympics. He was heavily featured as a relief commentator during Euro 2021 and Iā€™m sure he must have done some games during the Qatar World Cup but I donā€™t recall hearing him at the most recent Euros.

1 Like

The lads will have me asleep before this starts

2 Likes

Kenneth lost an Olympic final to a Chinese fighter (he was screwed) and Iā€™m surprised heā€™s not bringing in this angle.

There must have been a flurry of money on yer wan. PP not taking bets on her

Is Adrian Eames commentating on anything in Olympics?