Paris Olympics 2024

Imagine how good weā€™d be with a bit of funding.

1 Like

If Darren Oā€™Neill could grow his hair into an endearingly unkempt mess heā€™d look a lot like Mick Dowling. I like the idea of a Kilkenny man getting Dowlingā€™s seat as senior analyst.

5 Likes

Kellies dancing summed her up. Pure down to earth joy. An absolute legend :clap:

2 Likes

The fact the 4 gold medals come across of broad church of sports is the impressive thing for me. Boxing, gymnastics, rowing and swimming.

19 Likes

Why are the lads going on as if boxing will be at the next games?

Fucking class Bernard Dunne, boola boss :raised_hands: :clap: :ok_hand:

2 Likes

If thereā€™s a lick of sense within anybody in the IOC it will be. Boxing is a CORE Olympic sport.

3 Likes

More like a confessional box of sports considering their minority

Medals begets funding begets medals surely. Sports Ireland can go back to the money men and make a very strong case off the back of this.

A couple of sports: boxing, rowing and to a lesser extent swimming, sailing, athletics are now bringing through regular medal chances

3 Likes

Is it not definitely gone?

Itā€™s not

No.

He was a very good hurler in his days until boxing got serious. Gave me a few runarounds (does not say much granted).

2 Likes

Your man Darren O Neill is very very rare surely. A middle Ireland, gaa type boxer. Think heā€™s a teacher.

The Coronas in Oā€™Sullivans bar on Thursday is going to be off the scale

Nothing is definite. Itā€™s four years away. Thereā€™s a proposed breakaway world governing body the IOC are planning to recognise and the Brits and the Americans are rowing in behind this. The IOC say they wonā€™t organise boxing again like they have done this time. But if it comes down to it theyā€™ll have to. Surely.

The problem is that all this uncertainty messes around the boxersā€™ lives.

Boxing is a great sport that has been the victim of bastards at administrative level more than any other sport I can think of.

3 Likes

Eamon would know

https://twitter.com/eamonnflanagan/status/1820947331509850198?s=46&t=YOfhVM10W0bcyIiYSLI3Wg

The John Treacy medal in 1984 was the first on the track (well the last 300 metres of the 26.2) since Ronnie Delaney in 1956. Only Sonia in 2000 has won one in a running event since 1984. Hopefully Rashidat Adeleke can add to the tally on Friday.

All Olympic Gold medals or any medal is noteworthy but they are hardest won on the track.

3 Likes

Course you would

When you see a country like India on the medals table with only 3 bronze and only 12 countries below them, Jesus we do punch way above our weight.