Paris Olympics 2024

Hockey has some amount of trying to play the ball off the opponent’s foot, etc. Odd sport.

The slimy Spaniards (currently 3rd) objected to “our” lads (currently 2 nd) and got them disqualified from race 6. No margin for error now

Catholic psychiatric nurses with a background in 1990s inter-county GAA.

3 Likes

Easy way to win a free/ Short corner.

Dessie Farrell was a very good hockey player.

The hockey pitch backing onto a Loyalist estate presumably controlled by the UVF, which was/is always shown on the 5pm Grandstand from Nauth’n Aihhland is ICONIC.

Lisnagarvey v Instonians.

“Aunnn tuyyy haauckey noyyy”

5 Likes

I think it was St. Brendan’s he played for. Himself and Martin Storey would make occasional cameo appearances on the Hockey Stadium segment of Sports Stadium circa November 1994 to February 1995 with commentary by John Kirwan.

YMCA 1
Pegasus 0

1 Like

Three Rock Rovers always seemed to be there or thereabouts.
Generally a Protestant sport in Cork for lads, Ashton and Bandon Grammar the mainstays though I think Midleton had a serious team at various stages, perhaps the East Cork contingent can clarify or deny
I had friends who went to Douglas Comm that played and enjoyed it.
It’s huge for girls obviously

It’s who they’re playing for.

Glennane.
Muckross.
Pembroke Wanderers.
Railway Union.
Avoca.
And the famed Three Rock Rovers.

I’d be interested to see are these clubs represented in our current Olympic squad.

Ireland hosted the 1994 Women’s Hockey World Cup. Each night’s highlights on RTE hosted by Jim Sherwin played out with “Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick” by Ian Dury and The Blockheads. Ireland were captained by Sarah Kelleher from Cork and they weren’t very good. Australia beat Argentina in the final which I watched while listening to Leitrim beat Mayo in the Connacht final.

In TV3’s early days Sports Tonight with Trevor Welch showed extensive highlights of the 1999 All-Ireland Cup final featuring Cork Church Of Ireland against some team from Dublin. Which I watched one Monday night at 11pm. The Prods won, though I presume the losers were mostly Prods too.

2 Likes

The Frenchies are hell bent on having the run and the cycle going through the streets of Paris and aren’t for turning. They could move it to outside Paris where the rowing is happening but the road network around it can’t handle the running and cycling. The 10k marathon swim will move to the rowing venue if the Seine can’t handle it. Wiffen said he’ll withdraw if this happens as his only reason for doing it was for the experience of swimming in the Seine.

1 Like

Let them fucking swim in the Seine and earn their fucking medal.

1 Like

@KinvarasPassion’s crowd are big into it nowadays - that and the Gaelic football

Huge upset in the womens 7s semi final as Canada perform a remarkable comeback win v the Aussies.

1 Like

The unbeatable Aussie 7s women’s team who our girls were honoured to be on the same field with. Bate by a Canadian team who tried the unusual tactics of tackling them

10 Likes

Fucking hell, were they on the piss with the Irish wans last night or something. A lot of the scores v Ireland were quick tap penalties where the Irish girls weren’t fit or quick enough to get back into position but still. Coach needs to be taken out by firing squad here.

1 Like

Telling the girls to pull back from the table worked well for Vera Pauw

2 Likes

Agreed. 12-0 up as well. Rte began to preview the All blacks v Australia final Levi v Blyde big showdown prior to the Aussie semi :grinning:

2 Likes

Irish fella over them!

Our boys are up to 7th in Race 9 which if they finish there will move them back into 2nd overall - they dropped to 3rd after Race 8

Edit - now in 6th