Paris Olympics 2024

I wouldn’t know that but Wayne McCullough won silver for us in 1992. Paddy Barnes won a couple of bronzes as well and Michael Conlan won a bronze.

1 Like

Does the athletics start on Saturday or Sunday?

I see most of the Irish were in a holding camp an hour outside Paris for the last week or two & have been making their way into the Olympic village since yesterday. Plenty of social media updates throughout the camp from the likes of Mawdsley, Barr & Becker.

Others doing their own preparations away from that main holding camp & not much news coming from them. All fairly quiet from Adeleke & Mageean in particular.

1 Like

Walk on Thursday. Starts properly on Friday.

1 Like

Getting 7 or more medals is looking a good one at this point?

More from Daniel Wiffen plus a couple from the rowers.

Yep, starts getting busy from Friday. I guess they need a day or two to change things around now the Rugby 7s is over.

How many rowing medals are realistic?

Two? O’Donovan & McCarthy again & the pair that raced today whose names I can’t recall, Irish heroes one & all?

Irish Olympic medals should be like Irish Cheltenham winners in the late 1980s. There was a comforting reassurance when we had a potential Galmoy like Coghlan or Treacy or Sonia. We had one good clean one and it was all on that. You don’t want us to suddenly start winning all around us like the Irish now do at Cheltenham. Only a dope would want that.

When did they stop getting Gary O’Toole in? He used to do a bit.

Two is about it.
But both could be gold

2 defo. Chance of a third with women duo?
One in Gymnastics.
Maybe one in Athletics.
Showjumping?
Maybe 2 in women’s boxing? Have any of the men a chance?
One more from Wiffen.
Great days

2 Likes

I think he did '04 but not sure if he did '08. Pretty sure he didn’t do 2012 anyway.

I’m watching it back here. What a fucking race.

He’s probably busy enough in his day job. Shame as he’s brilliant at it.

1 Like

You should get an Olympic medal for every 3m you spend on elite sports funding is a stat I saw once.

1 Like

He was impassive the night of her first finals. The RTE presenters (it may have been Bill O Herily) were losing their shit and GOT was basically telling them she would win 4 medals and a good few gold. But he was unenthusiastic about the whole thing. He knew sumthing wasnt right.

1 Like

He was then told to say nothing that would cast aspersions on air.

2 Likes

Pride of Clare Hall Nhat Nguyen up at 8.20am but I’m due to be grilled by the Central Bank about procedures & policies at that time so will miss whispering John O’Donovan calling the crucial clash against the defending Olympic champion. I think only one progresses from each group so it’s winner takes it all.

4 Likes

3 swimming
2 rowing
1 gymnastics

And one more required

A couple of boxers only need to win another fight or two to secure medals.

1 Like