Paris Olympics 2024

This is cracking badminton (I think).

The nordie lads can obviously declare for whoever they want when it comes to swimming can they. Is that the same with all Olympic sports?

I believe so. Sure they can choose whichever passport they want

1 Like

Why did Wayne McCullough declare for Ireland? I don’t think I can remember a proddy GB boxer in the Olympics

Is nhat on yet?

He could be next. Last match just over

I dont know. He was from a staunch unionist background. I know a few do Ireland for European games and then Northern Ireland for the commonwealth games so they can enter more competitions.

I didn’t realise Nhat was up agin VA :open_mouth:… He’s a lanky powerhouse but is also surprisingly nimble. He’s in the badminton GOAT conversation.

Nhat has qualified tho, no? It used to be top 2 from group, i presume it’s still that way?

No it’s only one out

Boxing is a 32 county sport.

The Voice Of Badminton Whispering John O’Donovan is in the broom cupboard for the big clash.

There must be a foot in height difference between these two

Frampton was on a podcast not so long ago saying he would have chosen Ireland over GB. That boxing, like rubby and other sports, is an all Ireland sport so would have been happy to represent Ireland.

1 Like

Good start for Nhat. Getting the cock past this lad is going to be tough.

Nhat has the Dane rattled

Nhat cant play to his smash (I think I’ve the terminology right there). Keep it at the net

I always thought that ‘32 county sport’ thing was the decider but why is there a fella from Belfast swimming for gb and others from north for Ireland?

Pretty much yes with the exception of rugby where there is not the option of declaring for GB. In hockey the athlete must declare for a British country (England, Scotland or Wales) in order to qualify to represent them. Of the 38 athletes from the north competing 32 of them are competing for Ireland and 6 for GB.

Like @Halfpipe I find the attitude from some in the south towards northern athletes competing for Ireland in whatever code jarring. Whether it is downgrading Wiffen’s achievement, Rory Mcilroy not wearing a hat (he does not in Ryder Cup) or the hypocrisy between how Martin O’Neill was treated compared to Stephen Kenny.

4 Likes

Why is Don Tidey’s daughter sailing for Team GB?

Numerative determinism

2 Likes

Is she tidy?