Paris Olympics 2024

By half a second in a slow pool

3 Likes

John Kenny - lean muscular men.

He’s not wrong

1 Like

Ian thinks Rhasidat won’t run the mixed. And a very tough semi final.

https://archive.ph/G2u6i

An unbelievable performance.

I confirmed this 10 posts previous you bollocks.

1 Like

Well it definitely wasn’t believable anyway

He smashed 0.40 seconds off his own world record. The last time a 100 metres freestyle world record was beaten by 0.4 seconds or more was 1976.

The amount of people in the crowd standing with their arms folded spoke volumes

The David Wilkie Olympics.

That Mona interview is a microcosm of the highs and lows of sport. Devastated.

You put doubt in my mind by not being able to do basic maths

Fair point.

This is priceless stuff from O’Donovan. He’s perfected the art of acting the pure gombeen for an incredibly smart man.

2 Likes

It’s a shame there’s no highlights programme on RTE. Even a 10 minute highlights package at the end of the day would be something. Some of us have jobs to go to

6 Likes

Big time. I’ve seen about an hour in total of live events, would be great to get a short highlights of the day.

I was thinking that too during the Euros & my scientific conclusion was that social media has ruined the concept of a good highlights show. People go onto Twitter/X & find a clip of what they missed earlier now & the TV stations themselves are packaging the clips on their Twitter accounts at the expense of specific review programmes in many cases.

I used to lap up those highlights shows back in the day, even when I’d have seen most of the action live earlier. You’d tune in again for the end of day overview & a new set of pundits might have a different take on the main talking points & so on. Now I generally avoid the punditry & just try to catch the match.

To contradict the above, maybe the sheer magnitude of events going on at the Olympics would justify a nightly highlights show though. RTÉ had a 2/3 minute report by Connor Morris at the end of this evening’s programme that wrapped up the other events that happened today - he touched on the likes of triathlon, judo, fencing & random bits. You could have a 1-hour “Today at the Olympics” show hosted by FotF Tony O’Donoghue at 10.40pm every night. 50%-60% recapping on the Irish competitors that day with the balance going into more detail on those other events.

4 Likes

A recap of the Irish events then the big highlights of major events like Simone Biles and the like. I can live without seeing break dancing highlights and skateboarding and other weird shit.

There was a brief recap of the days events before the show finished tonight.

BBC has a decent one with chappers. Albeit it’s mostly the tans. The model is good though.

RTE have lost the understanding of the little flourishes which made their sports coverage great. A lack of highlights is more than losing a flourish. A highlights programme is utterly essential for an Olympics. Social media clips are no substitute.

3 Likes