Paul Galvin - Irish Maverick

Nice bit about visiting Kilkenny in there, another microcosm of the GAA.

INTERVIEW KERRY’S PAUL GALVIN: Tom Humphries talks to this years player of the year about the year previous, the one that made him as a player and as a man

Is this a book you would wish your wives or servants to read?

Counsel for the prosecution, Mervyn Griffith-Jones, to the jury in the Chatterly Trial 1960

PAUL GALVIN sips his tea. He reflects on how quiet life has been since the All-Ireland final. He cut loose for a couple of days, surfed the big wave for maybe half a week, but then he went back to the teaching and a life where he burns the candle at neither end. Hes not complaining. Satisfaction has a different flavour when you are older.

And he is the man who pulled a U-turn on the road to perdition and drove back. In the summer of 2008 he was the man you wouldnt want your wives or servants to watch.

He would walk into a GAA disciplinary hearing and feel the disdain and disapproval pouring towards him as if the goatee and the tats advertised the barely concealed presence about his person of a tail and cloven feet and maybe small, satanic horns beneath the hair.

You know the bones of his story. In June of 2008, playing his first championship game as captain of a Kerry team setting out for three-in-a-row, he gets involved with his marker. The context is a game in which there were six yellow cards in the first 25 minutes. It should have been a stroll but turned out to be a dog-fight. Galvin felt he was being wound up.

First day out as captain. One yellow. More of the same. He spoke to the linesman about his problem. Nothing. Next thing. Paddy Russell is crooking his finger at him.

Paddy, what are you doing? he asked two or three times. Paddy Russells way of saying goodbye was a second yellow.

Slapping the notebook from Paddy Russells hand. Back to linesman. The little bump with Toms S. Off. His case becoming one of the sideshows of the summer.

It was a soul-destroying season. Hed started working for it on December 5th, 2007. He knew in his heart, knew it was going to be a struggle to pull a third successive All-Ireland out of the team. He felt Kerry had hit a plateau as a team and the players had gone a bit individual.

What I did was a selfish thing. An individual act of petulance. As a group we had gone our own ways as well. Lots of different directions. If you want to win an All-Ireland you have to have that togetherness and trust. It didnt take what I did to see that fellas had gone offside. I trained away and trained away for the rest of the summer. I was always hoping, but couldnt give up.

His case unfolded. He has strong opinions on three matters. Paddy Russell. The GAA. The media. But first he has to say something, has to point out that the country behind him is what gives him the view he has now.

Last summer changed him as a player and a person. It was a long, hard climb to redemption and last night in City West.

Im more relaxed. Ultimately, this was great for me. I needed it to happen. At the end of the day I have opinions on things, on the referee, how the case was handled, opinions on how the media operated. I have opinions on all these things. But at the end of the day I needed this. I was going on to the field at times for Kerry too aggressive, too pumped up. I was involved in scrapes I didnt need to be involved in. I have a different outlook on the game. I have. I am more relaxed. I enjoy football for what it is now.

He has those opinions though.

He has carried them for a year.

He watched The Sunday Game that night and appreciated that everything looked worse than it had felt at the time. Still, it was a few days before he saw that the responsibility was his.

It didnt dawn on me at all at first. I was in a strange place at the time. People see an on-field incident in isolation and see it for what it is, maybe. Obviously, there is a way more to it. That wasnt the act of a guy who is just frustrated over a referee calling him over to book him. There was a lot of other stuff.

We all have football lives and personal lives. It wasnt a moment of madness, it was six months of frustration and things going on in my life, from being handed the captaincy and not being able to play through the league because of injury, to a lot of other things in my life.

I was focusing on how I felt I was wronged. There was finger-pointing from me initially. I just had to face up to the fact that I was way out of order and you cant do things like that. It only dawned on me a few days later what had happened.

And? Two things. I had to look at myself in the mirror. And I thought to myself, Jesus, they will go for the kill here.

What hurt him most was the impression left by the shove on S, his close friend. Toms didnt realise he already had his first yellow. He was looking at me thinking that I was going mad because I was just getting a yellow card. Toms grabbed me. He says, Calm down, youll ruin your year. I was walking off the field.

I turned around and said to him, I am f***ing gone. That was a bit of a misunderstanding between us, but it looked terrible for two fellas in the Kerry jersey.

He called S the next week. Jesus, man, I am really sorry about Sunday.

Toms replied with genuine bafflement: About what?

Galvin explained.

Oh, yeah. Yerra, never mind that, how are you?

And that was it. Through the long hard summer that followed they would joke about it. Galvin would bump into S during training and say to his friend: Listen, I suppose there is no chance this is all a dream?

He stresses again that he takes responsibility for what he did. But those issues still linger.

Paddy Russell had sworn omerta for the day. The whole day long. How you can be a referee in a top-class intercounty game and not open your mouth to players? How can you do that? Early in that game there was dangerous tackles flying in. Clare were giving a few and we were giving a few back.

Declan OSullivan went through early on, as he does, and the tackle was a punch in the nose which bust his nose. Declan was bleeding and looking at the ref. Paddy passes me on his way out. I said, are you going to leave that go? There was no reply at all.

He remembers those ticking seconds before his dismissal. Telling himself to keep calm now. Asking Russell again and again what was he doing, why was he booking him.

There was nothing. To me that is unacceptable. I am captain of the team. I have made efforts to communicate with him. I have been ignored. I cant excuse what I did, but I started working for that season, that game, six months previously. I was getting no feedback. Not even a syllable of a word.

Normally, I would never go to a ref or linesman about anything. I have often been the guy on the other side. I said, okay, this year I will take a bit of responsibility. I will go to an official. The response was omerta.

He contrasts what happened that day with a rugby game, where the whistle is never blown without the referee explaining what he is blowing it for.

It isnt about having a go at Paddy Russell, but subsequent there was no word high up or low down about the referees performance, which in my view was nowhere near what was needed. He came out and wrote a book afterwards. He had his say. His performance was way off what I would expect. If I performed as poorly as he did I would be gone, taken off.

Communication is a huge thing. How can you justify not communicating? I was wrong to slap his notebook. I have nothing against the guy. But you cant referee a game and not communicate with the players.

Then his summer turned into a series of appearances in dry-as-dust committee rooms. His outsized reputation as one of the games desperadoes would go in before him and he, Paul Galvin, would follow a few minutes later.

I felt it the minute I went into those rooms. Disapproval. Bar one guy on those committees, they wouldnt stop for you on the corridor to say hello. One guy stopped me and said, whatever happens, I hope things work out okay for you. Otherwise, it was utter hostility, open hostility. I felt like a criminal. They werent hiding it.

He was determined he would go in, answer his case from the dock. Have you anything to say? he was asked.

This is the Thursday after it had happened. It was one tough week in my life, being dragged all through the media. So they asked had I anything to say. I gave an apology and tried to explain where I was coming from.

Next thing one of their mobile phones rang. I am finding it tough to speak at all, finding it very tough this all meant so much to me. He answers the mobile phone. And he starts talking . . . Hello, hello? It is, yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Okay. Yeah, go ahead and do that. Im in a meeting. I have to go. Yeah, go on. I should have stood up and left.

He took a deep breath instead. Carried on.

Then there was us. The media. We wanted him. Either hung, drawn and quartered in opinion columns. Or sitting down and hanging other people in interviews. He declined. Turned down all media requests.

I have no bother if people ring me up. If I want to do something in the media, I do it. If not, I say no. But every single member of my family was contacted. My brother was contacted repeatedly by a journalist over a period of months. My sister was contacted by email. My parents house was rung repeatedly. This is having already turned these people down. I cant accept that.

I had a researcher from a radio show ring me asking if I had any comment. I said no thanks. Five minutes later she is on the phone to my parents. That is unacceptable. My father ended up on the air before he knew what was going on. He is a gentleman who would be too nice to say no straight out.

Another paper went into the Bebo site belonging to his girlfriend, Ciara. Lifted the lot and ran two pages, including private pictures of Galvin at a wedding, other pictures taken at a party. That still hurts.

The week of the game, the All-Ireland final, another fella rings me and says, listen, do an interview, Ill bat for you big time. Give your side. I say no thanks. He comes out then on the weekend and he dismantles me. Where is the integrity there?

He had a summer of feeling he was public enemy number one.

Paul Galvin versus the GAA.

Paul Galvin versus all right-thinking folk.

It ended with a few minutes at the end of the All-Ireland final and the shouts of triumphant Tyrone men in his ears.

He came very close, he says, to packing it in, and still feels that probably he should have walked away. He couldnt do it. Not if there was hope. Not if there was one player in the team who would be disappointed in him for going.

Its a regret, but I needed the experience of it too. I needed to feel all that stuff to actually grow up and learn a lesson. If I had walked away maybe I would have come back the same way. I took it that I would have to suffer through it, train all summer with the lads, but not be part of it.

His anger and frustration hadnt cleared by the time the season expired. It was this time last year, on a mid-term holiday with Ciara, when he had his Damascene moment. He was, he says, poor company in Marbella, still brooding. But his brain clicked. It was time to move on.

Somewhere along the way he found himself. He read. Talked to people, Jack OShea in particular. Jackos mantra was composure. At all times. On and off the field. Composure. He read a book called The Success Principles . Lingered long over a chapter on taking 100 per cent responsibility for your life. Said the words again.

I was wrong. I have to start again from scratch. Ultimately, I look in the mirror. I was out of control. I looked at it on TV and I had lost control. Here I was, a decent player who would be remembered for that. I felt I was too good a player for that, so I had to become a player again. I was too good to be acting the way I was acting.

I wasnt performing to my best. Too aggressive. Too hyped up. I learned a huge amount about myself from it. I am not a buffoon. I knew what I had to do.

And so he re-emerged into the light of a new season. He dragged Kerry through the league. Playing with intelligence and purpose and verve. He was a new man, and through spring and early summer all you could hear was Paul Galvins redemption song.

And then. Pirc U Chaoimh. A replay with Cork. Straight red. Recidivist! Ah God. I just said to myself, you must be joking. I caught Noelly (Noel OLeary), swung a bit of an arm at him. I did enough, I suppose. I got the card and really felt that was it. I felt I had played so well during the league and played well against Cork the first day.

This time he was almost certain he would pack it in. He arranged a meeting with Jack OConnor in Kenmare. Told OConnor he felt it was time to leave it behind. Hed let Kerry down and Jack down and let himself down. He was going to be a summer sideshow again and he couldnt justify sticking around for this one.

I was very down. I said, Jack, I think I have had it. Its time to hold the hands up and wander off. But Jack is Jack. He just said Yerra no, youre fine, youre fine. I dont think he listened to me or entertained it even.

Strangest thing. Two days later he had an itch. Get out of Dodge. Drive. He picked up a buddy. Drove to Killenaule to pick up another. Hit the road. The three of them. Galvin still housing a head-full of black.

They ended up in Kilkenny. Went down to Nowlan Park. Galvin was a hurler before ever he was a footballer. There was an air of pilgrimage to it now. It was the day before Kilkenny played Galway in Leinster and there was a bit of activity over tickets.

I walked in to have a look around because I really admire those Kilkenny lads. Straight away I met Ned Quinn. He stood there with open arms. Ah Jaysus, are you lost?, he says to me.

Never a truer word.

Genuinely, I was half-nervous going in there. Thought I might be told to f** off out of there. But I ran into Ned and he gave me a big welcome. We walked the pitch together. He told me great stories about the Kilkenny boys. We went into the dressingrooms. Sat down. He showed me where Tommy sits, and Shefflin. All these fellas.

Then up to the clubhouse in the corner, all the memorabilia. He talked me through all the photos on the walls. I came back out thinking, maybe I am not such a bad fella. Ned took so much time to show me around and make me feel welcome. I came out and said to myself maybe the GAA aint so bad. Maybe I still belong in it, the same as ever. That day was a turning point. I went out that night in Kilkenny. Nothing to drink. Got up and felt like a new man. Never looked back.

He came home and decided to go at it all properly again.

He spoke at times with Tommy Walsh and Eddie Brennan. Heroes who became friends and sounding-boards.

He listens to his music now before games. Gets lost in it. Relaxes. Loves the game for what it is. This summer we saw Paul Galvin for what he is and what he can be. Oddly, he never looked at Darran OSullivan with so much as a sliver of envy.

Ah, its funny. People thought I would be a great captain. I was probably the worst captain Kerry ever had. And Darran is such an easy-going young fella people wondered. But he was a great captain. Great guy and a great captain. Thats sport.

Thats Paul Galvin.

From the rogues gallery to Citywest and player of the year in 12 months.

inbred simpleton shouldnt get so worked up about his hobby

Did you see the state of him in the picture in the Times? Couldn’t even keep the top button closed.
Supreme footballer but there is something about him that makes you want to slap him

I only caught the awards in the background in a pub last night, was Tom O Sullivan wearing runners?!

Not sure but they were either runners or some gold type of shoes,
They are a crime against fashion whatever way you look at it

[quote=“W.B. Yeats”]Not sure but they were either runners or some gold type of shoes,
They are a crime against fashion whatever way you look at it[/quote]

I saw a flash of white, looked at it on RTE.ie today and Des seemed to comment on it too. I presumed Tom forgot the shoes meself. Galvin does his own thing.

I thought they looked pretty cool. White soled runners with a suit is a good look imo.

tom o se was conspicous by his absence…the rumours circlating must hold some weight unfortunately…best of luck to the lad…

Scumpot can I get a PM? I figured they just wanted everyone of the brothers to have an All Star.

I’ll take one too…

Galvin survives trial by television with his integrity intact

Last year we had the first hurler to come out as a homosexual, this year it’s the turn of the first metrosexual, writes Eamonn Sweeney

At some stage the makers of Galvinised, RTE’s big Christmas sports offering, must have thought they had a Poseidon Adventure-sized disaster on their hands.

Their fly-on-the-wall look at the life of the reigning Footballer of the Year had encountered one small problem. A two-month suspension after his sending off against Cork in February meant that Paul Galvin hardly kicked a ball in the National League. And his subsequent ban for impersonating Laurence Olivier’s Nazi dentist in Marathon Man, with Eoin Cadogan filling the Dustin Hoffman role, ruled him out for most of the championship.

What we were left with then was a documentary about a footballer who wasn’t playing any football. This might have been a beguiling notion for aficionados of avant garde cinema but, for the rest of us, it promised to be the televisual equivalent of the pub with no beer.

That it didn’t work out like that is due almost solely to the documentary’s subject. Because Paul Galvin did for the makers of Galvinised what he did for Kerry in this year’s Munster semi-final replay: he pulled them out of the fire. North Kerry’s leading Satan impersonator did this by revealing himself to be as likable, interesting, self-aware and, above all, honest a sportsman as you’ll ever see profiled.

It was the honesty which made the film work. Because we were treated to a sight which is unusual not just in Irish sport but in Irish life generally, a man saying exactly how he felt. There was no spin, no special pleading, no whingeing, no posturing, we got Paul Galvin neat. These documentaries normally show us arrogance dressed up as modesty but in this case the opposite was the case. It was a refreshing change.

Galvin told us how he felt about being substituted, “I was disappointed of course. I was very annoyed”; what happened when a player disagreed with Jack O’Connor, “you’d be left licking your wounds”; the Munster championship, “the last few years have just been a pain in the arse”; and his job as a teacher, “I didn’t fit in at all. The job was boring to me so I left it.”

And, most compellingly, he talked about the disciplinary problems which ruined the year for him. He did so in a way which put to shame those people who tried at the time of his suspensions to make out that the player had been targeted as part of some anti-Kerry conspiracy or that he is merely ‘playing close to the edge’. Paul Galvin, more than any other player I’ve seen, was brutally tough in making no excuses for himself. “You hate to think you’re compromising people, they’re all sick of it”, “It’s completely brain dead to do what I did”, “I feel stupid over it”, “I don’t think there’s any point in defending it. I can’t defend it, it was wrong”, “If my team-mates feel like I left them down, it would be hard to blame them.”

The notion of ‘manliness’ is often invoked in GAA in a mealy-mouthed attempt to excuse cynical play. But Galvin’s willingness to accept responsibility was genuinely and impressively manly.

There has been some sneering at Galvin since both his appearance on the Late Late Show and the screening of Galvinised, which seems to derive from the clichéd idea that an inter-county GAA player is a kind of Fianna Fáil TD in embryo who should be banging on about his love of golf and horse racing, his desire to open a pub, his respect for businessmen and his love of The Sawdoctors.

In reality, anyone who thinks there’s something unusual these days about a country lad who’s interested in fashion, likes Dizzee Rascal, Kanye West and Biffy Clyro and wears tight T-shirts because he’s gone to the gym to make sure he looks well in them should get out more. It’s a nice change to see a footballer who’d prefer to hang with Jay-Z than Hector. Last year we had the first hurler to come out as a homosexual. This year we’ve had the first footballer to come out as a metrosexual. And, in a society where conformism and time serving are rife, you’d have to respect the integrity of a lad who’s quitting a permanent pensionable job because he wants to see what else life has to offer.

Galvinised was not without its flaws. There was far too much RTE match footage which anyone interested in football would have seen already and which the casual viewer would have been bored by.

And there was a huge missed opportunity when Galvin took off to New York. He was obviously excited by being in the Big Apple but we never got to see him doing anything in the city other than strut the streets looking like a cool cross between John Travolta in the opening sequence of Saturday Night Fever and a hustler in a Warhol movie.

Instead, the New York segment largely consisted of him watching the Kerry-Down match in a deserted pub, something he could have done just as easily in Tralee. Galvin told us several times how much he loved New York, it would have been nice if the programme makers showed us this love in action. It’s not, after all, as though there’s a shortage of interesting things to film in the city.

Honest to the last, Galvin finished off by telling us, “it’s been a shitty year really.” A shitty year but a fine documentary. In the words of Jay-Z, “a star was born. Clap for him.”

The guy who complains about trial by media agrees to a documentary about his life …ha.

Why anyone cares about anything more than his footballing ability is a bit odd. Have always thought the media fascination in him at odds with his ability as a footballer. That FOTY award was more about personality than performances imo.

His complaints weren’t with the media, it was with the media failing to research their subjects correctly. Any person who believes the likes of Niamh Horan is a decent version of the “media” is a bit of a fool. This whole “a guy who complains about the media doing a documentary” bit is a pile of shit to me, surely you are entitled to complain about the media printing lies regardless of whether you have a documentary done or not. At least the documentary can be said to put across his side of the story and have a degree of truth to it as a result of that.

As for caring about a sports stars personality, this is only natural. Those outside the bubble always like to get a view inside to see what makes a sportsman tick. Its why people buy biographys and autobiographys by the skipload. I wouldnt have thought this was a big relevation.

1 Like

Bullshit.

He was superb that year. Easily the best footballer.

1 Like

+1

kerry are an immensely better side with galvin in the team.

Scored two points v Dublin in quarter final, didnt score v Meath nor in the final against Cork where he was anonymous. Cant remember any other player winning such awards based on such stats at the business end of the championship.

Marc O Se?

Of course some of his best work came earlier in the Championship when the rest of the Kerry team weren’t functioning and he brought them through matches by himself. That got them to the business end.

He was excellent against Dublin from what I recall and certainly wasn’t anonymous against Cork. He was the best footballer in Ireland that year easily.

Of course most of Galvins best work is the picking up of lose.ball and starting attacks. He is brilliant at it. That is even more vital for Kerry these days seeing as they have a non functioning midfield.

Since this isnt your standard post of a naked woman or an article copied from the Guardian or Shoot magazine I’ll humour you with a response

(1)That sentence is a contradiction, either he had complaints with media coverage or he didnt. He seems to have changed tack now to suit his fledgling fashion career or whatever.

(2) who believes Niamh Horan? Please refrain from such idiocy in any future posts.

(3) Not particularly just thinking the hypocrisy stands out. Fair enough the lad is looking for publicity but it seems in marked contrast to his attitude in the past. Any mention in the above article if his quitting teaching had any link on an incident with a student that was reported widely in the media? That might be interesting.

(4) what story - an amateur sportsman that previously railed against the injustice of it all now accepts he was wrong. Are they that stuck for material in RTE?

(5) Galvin has developed into a very effective player for Kerry. A sports star? Come on. He is hardly in the best 5 Kerry players of recent years. Would be interesting how he felt about not getting a chance under Paidi O’Se and how he developed from an effective if limited half forward to one who can score and create scores. But beyond that… He must have a book coming out. Great of the national broadcaster to give him such publicity I guess :rolleyes:

I agree with KIB’s take on the media side of things, but to underestimate him as a footballer is silly. Kerry wouldn’t have won f-all in '09 without him, and he was definitely FOTY that year. Had he been involved all the time in '08 they would have won that as well.

I don’t think he would have done enough against Down this year though, as i think Daragh O’ Se is a major factor there as well, Galvin knew how to play with him and how to track those breaks. The Kerry midfield at present is simple not up to it, and there is only so much a man of 5’9 can do in that case. You need to win some primary possession as well, what Galvin brings is secondary possession.

Top 5 player easily in past 8 years, himself, Gooch, DO’S, Tomas O’ Se and Marc O’ Se have on different occasions won games for Kerry almost single handily. Galvin did as much as anyone with the possible exception of Gooch.