Paul Scholes

Indeed. Despite my pace I’m a competent midfielder, whereas I’m world class up front or at the back. Paul Warhurst, Dion Dublin, Chris Sutton and Rocko - all excelled in either penalty area and could do a job in midfield but not at the same level.

in a 442, which is what scholes generally played in, pace is a worthwhile asset to have playing centrally. Keeping possession obviously negates the need for running around and Scholes was always good at keeping the ball, yet for England in particular I never really saw him in a big game demand the ball from the back four like Keane used to or thread balls through to the forwards like he did more so at United. He was never in the class of a Xavi and ridiculous to even compare. He struck me at international level as more of a player to keep things tipping over and probably complicit more than most for failing to show for the ball while Terry etc sought out the likes of Vassell and Rooney with balls over the top. As English midfielders go, I dont think he comes close to Lampard in effectiveness or Gerrard in terms of talent and moment of magic.

Speaking of pace and more so presence, the CL final against Chelsea a few years back was a perfect case in point. First half Scholes was excellent keeping the ball and linking up the play, second half Chelsea and Ballack in particular completely steamrolled United in the middle and Scholes was totally overwhelmed. Think he was taken off in the end. Might be an bit unfair example as his best days were probably gone. Felt with Scholes he was a bit of a flat track bully at club level, great against the Aston Villas (scored a cracking volley from a corner one year against us) but not so much against the Arsenals and Chelseas. Fergie used often pick Nicky Butt ahead of him for the big games if I recall correctly and Lampard’s goals scoring continued a lot longer than Scholes too.

Id rank Beckham a better player for United and England than him. The amount of goals Beckham created was unreal.

CL final of 08 is an unfair example as the chap was going on 34 years of age and simply ran out of steam in the 2nd half and Chelsea overran them.

On the Nicky Butt point, Ferguson rotated the midfield alot particularly in Europe, Scholes tended to play in the home legs but they set up more defensively for the away legs i.e. 2nd leg away at Juventus in 99, Scholes played the home leg. In the same season though Scholes scored against Barcelona and Bayern Munich in the group stages and away in the San Siro in the QF’s. He also scored in the FA Cup Final that year.
Totally wrong to be calling him a flat track bully he has a decent scoring record against the top teams, - winner against Arsenal FA Cup SF 03/04, winner against Barcelona CL SF 07/08, winner against Man City in PL 10/11, scored in San Siro against AC 09/10 CL , he also scored at the 98 WC Finals and Euro 00 and Euro 04.

His biggest asset to me was his passing range and the speed of the pass, he had vision which certainly made him different to your A-typical box to box english mid-fielder, perhaps that is what the likes of Zidane and Xavi were talking about.

Did he not play in that match, got a yellow and was suspended for the final?

Came on as a substitute, Butt started the game.

I would agree with that. He was an excellent passer, particular in his later years and dictated tempo and play very well from the middle of the park. In his younger years he attacked more from midfield and scored quite a lot.

I would have him ahead of Lampard as a midfielder, and more disciplined in his central midfield role than Gerrard, as well as being a better dictator of play. But I don’t think he is the genius that the likes of Giles and others portray him to be.

People actually forget how good Beckham was. As fine of a right winger in his day and excellent from the dead ball. A wand of a right foot and, despite his current persona, quite hardy and tough on the pitch.

But Scholes delivered more to United over the sheer longevity of his career there.

Paul Scholes Testimonial is on at half 7. They are playing Eric Cantonas New York Cosmos. Lets hope Scholsey scores tonight to end his playing days on a high. Old Trafford is sold out which is a great tribute to the man. :clap:

Scholsey with a 20 yard screamer. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Scholesy is back till the end of the season. :clap: :clap:

Scholes is the first central midfield player Manchester United have signed since 2007.

:lol:

This is junior B stuff

:clap:

Showed his class today when Evra wasnt fucking up his great pass.

He has retired for a second time. One of the best players of his generation.

:D:D:D:D:D

He could pick a pass at times and scored his share of goals, but tactically naive, couldn’t tackle, and was exposed against the better teams.

:clap: I await his return with great interest. :slight_smile:

[ATTACH=full]677[/ATTACH]

What did he do on the international stage? Nothing. Big European games passed him by time and time again. He was a decent player but lacked character and tactical discipline. I can easily come up with 10 central midfielders over the past 15 years who were better.

As much as Liam Brady, Hristo Stoickov, Seedorf, Davids, Ballack.

You can’t blame him for the dross that surrounded him in the dressing room at international level.