Paul Scholes

[quote=ā€œcroppy_boy, post: 771208, member: 306ā€]What did Beckham win in Italy?

Was thee some special award for making 29 appearances, scoring two goals and winning nothing?

Scholes set Wes Brown free down the right to cross for Ronaldo to score the opening goal v Chelsea in 2008.[/quote]

:smiley:

Set Brown free? He played a 5 yard backwards pass to Brown who crossed the ball in with his left foot. You are badly clutching at straws.

I didnā€™t say Beckham won anything, he proved that he was good enough to play in Italy and Spain for Europeā€™s two most successful clubs. He had won everything Scholes won by that time.

Set Brown free? He played a 5 yard backwards pass to Brown who crossed the ball in with his left foot. You are badly clutching at straws.

I didnā€™t say Beckham won anything, he proved that he was good enough to play in Italy and Spain for Europeā€™s two most successful clubs. He had won everything Scholes won by that time.[/quote]

You are the expert in clutching at straws.

Steve McManaman did better in Spain than Beckham.

[quote=ā€œcroppy_boy, post: 771216, member: 306ā€]You are the expert in clutching at straws.

Steve McManaman did better in Spain than Beckham.[/quote]

Steve McManaman was a good player but thatā€™s not true. McManaman was a squad player at Madrid, Beckham was a starter.

Why would Scholes want to leave his home town?

[quote=ā€œcroppy_boy, post: 771189, member: 306ā€]So youā€™re agreeing that none of them won anything?

Brady is probably the best comparison as he was unappreciated by his manager and overlooked in favour of inferior players.[/quote]
Brady was never overlooked until he was in his 30s, playing with West Ham and struggling. He would have played in Euro 88 if it wasnā€™t for his suspension. He was finished by the time Italia 90 came around unfortunately. He didnā€™t get 70+ caps in that era by being overlooked for inferior players.

The EPL needed to be taken down a peg or 9 in terms of the hype about it but its gone ridiculously the other way now.
Scholes was a key player on a team a team that was consistently at the business end of the CL for well over a decade. He scored match winning goals and gave match winning performances against some of the best teams in Europe over the course of that decade plus (inter and barca off the top of my head ). Not to mind winning 10/11 domestic titles. Of course heā€™s going to be highly rated within the game

[quote=ā€œgola, post: 771240, member: 244ā€]The EPL needed to be taken down a peg or 9 in terms of the hype about it but its gone ridiculously the other way now.
Scholes was a key player on a team a team that was consistently at the business end of the CL for well over a decade. He scored match winning goals and gave match winning performances against some of the best teams in Europe over the course of that decade plus (inter and barca off the top of my head ). Not to mind winning 10/11 domestic titles. Of course heā€™s going to be highly rated within the game[/quote]

he played 3 champions league finals including a sub appearance and was woeful in all of them
his indiscipline cost him another
was shit for england

he is a dud

Go on, entertain us.

10 of them.

he is from oldham and supports the latics

[quote=ā€œcaoimhaoin, post: 771245, member: 273ā€]Go on, entertain us.

10 of them.[/quote]

1.becks

[quote=ā€œIl Bomber Destro, post: 771190, member: 1052ā€]Albertini
Pirlo
Redondo
Vieira
De Rossi
Veron
Ballack
Seedorf
Schweinsteiger
Montolivo

And thatā€™s being kind to Scholes, I have kept it strictly to pure central midfielders, I have not included any attacking midfielders or or wide players who could operate centrally. I have also discounted some midfielders who were much more effective than Scholes on the basis that they carried out a dirty role (Gattuso, Davids, Makelele, Deschamps). There are more players who could be included ahead of him at the moment.[/quote]

Veron and De Rossi

but football isnt your sport, bogball is, so your opinion is meaningless

Lambert was a better midfielder than Scholes as well.

Gas to see how wound up TASE gets by these type of topics. Arrives in flailing around with babyish responses to everyone he diagrees with each as ridiculous as the next. Take a deep breath the next time like a good man :smiley:

[quote=ā€œgola, post: 771240, member: 244ā€]The EPL needed to be taken down a peg or 9 in terms of the hype about it but its gone ridiculously the other way now.
Scholes was a key player on a team a team that was consistently at the business end of the CL for well over a decade. He scored match winning goals and gave match winning performances against some of the best teams in Europe over the course of that decade plus (inter and barca off the top of my head ). Not to mind winning 10/11 domestic titles. Of course heā€™s going to be highly rated within the game[/quote]

Yeah, I can see why others think heā€™s great though I personally donā€™t see it. But Iā€™m still wondering about those quotes. MBB alluded to a Ronaldo one and thereā€™s also a ā€œCeltic Parkā€ one where the greats of football eulogise the atmosphere they experienced there. At least half of them are made up though. Same as a Xavi quote about Celtic and Barcelona being brothers too. It would surprise me if he actually was rated that highly by the names on that image.

Xavi and Zidane were definitely from interviews done with those individuals, there is no way they are false. I would say they are all true in some way or other, some of them may have been just guys being nice, but Xavier in particular was very enthusiastic when talking of Scholes. Professional and generally high level footballer or sportsmen donā€™t always have the same parameters for greatness or respect as many of the tv watching public would have.

In fairness, Xavi and Zidane are enough got me, compared to a few of the greatest idiots ever to open a laptop Iā€™ll take their word for it every time.

I also forgot to mention Moravcik later, Zidane said he is the greatets footballer he ever saw.

Iā€™ve definitely seen the full interviews with xavi and Lippi where they gave those quotes so theyā€™re real anyway. Someone made a decent point that they might be playing to a British audience but we canā€™t take any quotes at face value if thatā€™s the case. Surely at least some united players are going to be highly rated given their european record and for the likes of xavi its easy to see why a player like scholes would be.

Your education seems to be failing you. Time to spend some of your ā€œwealthā€ on English lessons.

Stop making sense goal, these lads donā€™t understand it. Their insecurity about the leagues in which their teams take part in means they have to ridicule others to make themselves feel good.

If I didnā€™t know any better Iā€™d think these guys were Australian.