People who are beginning to give me a pain in the hole

McGeeney was a savage player to get at club level . He was awesome then and surely his drive ran through the club

Of course they were, every fucking thing had to go through them. It’s wonder the lads could tie their laces for the other 90% of the season they weren’t there.

Yeah. He was a great player for us. Him and Farrell would have been the driving forces.

1 Like

Often with good club teams the opposition put huge store in stopping inter county “marquee “ forwards . What often happen then is that another decent forward shoots the lights out .

Yes but they’d have to get the ball first

1 Like

Didn’t Jason leave Na Fianna for Plunkett’s ? Is he linked to any club now .

Yeah. Jason fucked off to plunketts as soon as na fianna stopped winning. I think his kids might play with Castleknock now. @Spidey might confirm?

Pity for him that plunketts never started winning so

1 Like

Mcgeeney was unbelievable at club level back then… Was on a different level to anyone else.

1 Like

Thought jayo and Dessie had bit of falling out too? Not sure about Jayos kids in the club - you wouldn’t see him around, although he lives very nearby. Alan brogans kids there alright and you’d see him there the whole time.

Re McGeeney an absolute animal at club level. Played midfield a lot for Na Fianna and totally dominated games - fellas hopping off him. An old work colleague of mine Mayo’s Kevin O’Neill played for them too and was a serious forward.

Was O Neill there in 2000 when they played Cross in club final ??

I doubt it. It was mid 2000s I think when he joined. He went back playing with Knockmore at the end of the decade.

I think most people in n.a. fianna fell out with Sherlock at that time. Kevin O Neill is a gent. A lovely player too

2 Likes

Mcgeeney was like Paul Curran a few years before him… Just on another level to anyone else in Dublin club football… Farrell and sherlock were great together on the pitch… Almost telepathic… knew each other’s movements inside out…they had some collection back in them years … Galvin and Connell came from plunketts… ,lad form Mayo midfleid,durcan from sligo, mcgeenes and mackin from armagh… Then dessie, sherlock, tomo lynch with dublin. Macmanus from Vincents joined near end too.
Their best chance of AI club I think was year rathnew bet them down in the muck and dirt in Newbridge…

1 Like

He’s a stone cold legend

1 Like

Yeah and a beautiful player but lacked a bit of pace. He had a funny running style. I think it may have been courtesy of a bad leg break early in his career

There were way too many outsiders in the end and it was detrimental to the club in the long run. It’s a fine balance. It’s difficult to win anything in Dublin without some outsiders but get too many and it inevitably ends in tears.

2 Likes

Did Jason Sherlock do a stint with Sylvesters or am I imagining that?

No. He was v friendly with Keith Galvin back in the day and I think there was rumours of a transfer that never materialised

1 Like

Didn’t he play with Ballyhea in Cork as a ringer a few times. I think he won a few medals with Neil Ronan on the same team.

2 Likes