Personal Issues / Agony Aunt Thread

Oh I’m a million miles away from any type of expert on this and really winging it.

I generally start with them trying to find out where they get their views from. It’s usually snapchat and spirals from there.

The only way I have of dealing with these things is asking them how they would feel if their sister/mum was in a similar position or how they would feel if they were in a gay student/refugee students shoes. Its a conversation rather than a lecture.

We haven’t had any transgender students in the school but we have lads who have sisters who are transitioning and the lads would be aware of it. We have a cohort of openly gay students and a scatter of ukrainian refugees also. Having these students in the school body does make people more understanding.

5 Likes

A lot of it stems from a deep insecurity and things lacking in young people’s lives I think.

I’d wager the majority don’t play sport, probably don’t have real hobbies or interests and probably aren’t particularly good in social situations. And most are definitely not academically minded.

I’m afraid you are off the mark there. Very hard to pigeonhole or typecast lads.

Two lads I dealt with last year would have very stable home lives and would contribute positively in school across a lot of things. You would never have picked them out. Involved with music and sport.

5 Likes

What? Sid off the mark,well I never.

1 Like

How do the gay kids get on

I was told a lot of schools say and do the right thing but there would still be some kids with some old fashioned views

I mentioned a story here before about a kid that was being bullied about being gay ( by all accounts he wasn’t and it doesn’t matter in any case). It ended up with him being physically assaulted.

The whole issue ended up being spoken about in the staffroom and across different classes. It was handled well by mgmt. I think as a consequence of this gay kids feel a lot safer and confident in the school. I’m fairly sure there are other kids who are not “out” yet. I’d say that is more to do with their home/family than the school.

4 Likes

Be grand til one of the boyos brings in an assault rifle some day.

A few lads here are shifting uncomfortably whilst checking Strava and staring at their new ASICS after reading this

6 Likes

Time to trade her in on a scrappage deal

Cut and paste it in there chief

It’s going to be uncomfortable reading for a lot of lads. Sacrificing their marriage on the altar of personal bests and a perceived sense of self improvement

Ask Allison: I do everything at home while my husband goes running — …

Today at 02:30

Allison Keating answers your queries about life and relationships

Take some time to reflect on the deeper emotions behind your anger. Picture: Getty

Take some time to reflect on the deeper emotions behind your anger. Picture: Getty

Question: My husband and I were both quite sporty before we had kids. We have three children now — aged between four and 10.

My youngest was a very bad sleeper and I have just come out of the fog and am realising that I have completely let myself go. I am about three stone overweight and feel like absolute crap. I don’t like going out or getting dressed up as I hate my body.

On the other hand, my husband is fitter than ever and has recently achieved a very impressive personal best in a marathon. Everyone is congratulating him on his achievement and I just want to scream. Of course he is amazing, but it is off the back of my misery.

I do everything with the kids and while he works hard at his paid job, all his spare time goes into running or cycling. I was looking back through photos on my phone and there was a direct correlation between how fit he got and how fat I got.

There is no room whatsoever for me to have time for the gym or even have the headspace to think about it. If I try and talk to him about this, he gets very angry and defensive.

He has turned into a right selfish you-know-what and I don’t know how we can ever resolve this.

He is determined to beat his personal best in 2024 and has already signed up for numerous events. Please, how do I stop myself from either murdering him or exploding with rage?

Allison replies:

Photos tell a story without words, but your words say so much more, as you noticed “a direct correlation between how fit he got and how fat I got”.

Feeling crap about yourself hits so hard. This bleeds into how you feel about your life, and you could possibly close down social opportunities and connections because of this.

Can I encourage you not to wait until you feel ‘good enough’ to go out? Meeting up with friends and getting out of the house is crucial for your well-being. Even if you feel uncomfortable, allow space for this, and know that whomever you are meeting is not judging you on what you are wearing or how you look. They are there to catch up with you.

A lot of women who have been unhappy with their weight say that when they look back on photos of themselves during times when they didn’t feel good about themselves, they realise that they looked so much better than they thought.

There is so much internal pressure on women — please don’t wait. Go out and have some much-needed time for yourself. You won’t look back and say, “I’m glad I stayed in because I didn’t look good enough to go out”. You will look back and say, “I’m so glad I went out and had a laugh and some fun”.

There are a lot of built-up emotions and frustrations here. From this column to my day-to-day work, to hearing other women chatting, I know the quotient of unequal time in relation to the amount of exercise or leisure time women get is a big area of gender inequality and is too common an issue within many households.

It sounds like you have had enough, and that it’s been enough for too long.

You are not angry, you are raging. Three years of sacrificing sleep — not out of choice — hits a mind and body hard. When you feel like a zombie, finding the motivation to exercise will feel like the last thing you want to add to your already-depleted physical battery, if you even got the chance to do so.

Parents sacrifice, but when the load is consistently unequally distributed, patience wears thin, as resentment simultaneously increases. You may have found yourself muttering, “this is not fair” and when it not only lands on deaf ears but is greeted with anger, that is tough to take.

Anger as an emotion relays a clear message: “This does not feel fair and feels wrong.” Like a simmering pot left on a high heat for too long, boiling over is an inevitability, unless you take a new approach.

Write out how you feel. This may be an angry, quick scrawl at first. That’s fine, don’t hold back. Turn the page blue. Now take a deep breath and pull out the core issues. The tip of the anger iceberg can hide the hurt and other emotions that are just below the surface.

Take a moment to get to the deeper emotions, like feeling let down, disappointed, abandoned, a bit lost and alone in the relationship. These feelings are hard to sit with but will aid in the wider discussion that needs to be had. Assess any other feelings that may arise for you. How has this made you feel about the relationship’s integrity, friendship, and sense of being a team, or how you feel about yourselves as a couple?

Part of the unfairness can relate to a sense of the other person not considering your needs. Not even just for your physical, mental, and emotional health but for the health of the whole family — you need time and space to think, rest and move your body in a way that energises you and releases pent-up frustrations.

On a hotter note, I imagine an anger volcano, the danger of which is that when you blow, a lot of hurt can spew out in a way that can damage the relationship. So, reverting back to the anger iceberg is helpful to cool hot emotions that need to be communicated in a way that they will be heard and actioned upon.

Obviously, this is not a given. If you feel your husband has become selfish, it can feel like personal rejection.

What do you want and need? Make a plan and then bring this conversation to him during a walk. Walking is a great tool for all couples to work through tense and hard conversations.

Do you feel connected to your husband? Are there any activities you would like to do or try together? Novel experiences can sometimes be just what the doctor ordered. Could you go on a cycle together, or can he give you some time off while he is with the children?

There may be a whole host of issues that might need to be worked through. If it is too challenging to do this alone, you could consider talking it through with a couples therapist.

Allison regrets that she cannot enter into correspondence. If you have a query you would like addressed in this column, email allisonk@independent.ie

That’s when it’ll hit

2 Likes

Lads out running while wife sits at home complaining. Explanation seems obvious

2 Likes

You’d have to think a few lads will lie awake tonight.

1 Like

They will be too tired from running

That post also explains why you have so little luck with the ladies.

The fatties getting testy

He’s a little too lucky with them, be better if he has less luck

How would you, a man of the world, define “luck with the ladies”…

Not always giving out about them.