Piseogs, Fairies and the Other World

Anyone know any good piseogs or know someone highly skilled in the practice of this black art?

I only know the one the old man told me about putting boiled eggs under a fella’s haystacks. Apparently you could really ruin a fella doing a piseog like that on him.

1 Like

Eddie Lenihan would be able to help you out i`d say . Leaving bags of meat in someones field & putting duck eggs in potatoe drills was a popular piseog back in the day.

Bar the eggs, and the burying the butter, I suppose the most common one out our way would be to nail the hoof of a dead calf to the back wall of the house. Not sure how wide spread it is though. It’s used to ward off any evil spirits and ensure a good year on the farm.

The worst thing you could do would be to remove the hoof from the wall, be it your own wall or someone else. You’d have no luck for it.

I’ve heard of that down Kerry way Runt, didnt know it was across the border also.

I’ve heard of people wishing to renovate an old house or level a barn cutting the lump of the wall out, and placing it in a new shed, in the hope of warding off the bad luck that might come about.

You will be hard pushed to get someone to cut down a fairy bush due to the piseogs…

The great grand father had a piseog cast on a neighbour when the neighbour gave him the embers of a fire on the first of May…

There’s a fairy fort a stones throw away from my home place that’s the cause of a treacherous bend in the road. The council would not go through if for fear of the piseogs

Theres an ancient graveyard up around home. Apparently some druid or someething is buried there. Tis said he was cursed for eternity following a showdown with a shower of faeries and that has gone for his eternal resting place also. Tis pure wild with the most unmerciful form of gorge and bush growing out of it. Tisn’t a man nor beast that would go near that cursed spot.

I’d fucking run amok with a JCB up there. Druid me hole!

:rolleyes:

you would ya…tis easy talk chap…

you would ya…tis easy talk chap…[/quote]

Not talk. Dont believe in fairies or old wives tales.

It doesn’t matter to the fairies if you believe in them or not. They’ll still get ya.

Tis a foolish man that would ingnore a piseog. The story goes that a load of tans slept in that field once not realising where they were and they died within the week.

The Faerie bush down the road from the Clare Inn caused the whole road to be diverted.
Apparently the Galway Faeries and Kerry Faeries met there.
Not sure where. Maybe it was cos the Clare inn was so close and Dromoland is a good track of they wanted to get a quick round of golf in.

Yours etc,
GSH.

Fairies wear boots and you’d better believe it!

There was an auld fella out my way who had a double hump on his back, it was fierce bad looking yoke. The story goes is that he had the hump all his life, until one day when crossing a fairy field by the railway tracks he get talking to a group of fairies. He went home that night and when got up the next morning the hump was gone. Sure your man was delighted, went off around the town showing off his new straight back, but never bothered going back to thank the fairies. One morning two weeks later he woke up with the double hump.

1 Like

There used be one about shouting a warning if you were throwing water out of the house. Apparently the fairies would lose the plot if you covered them in it.

It used to be said that it was good luck to have ewing sheep in the same field as a faerie ring, but that they were never to cross the faerie ring between sun up and noon. It would lead to a bountiful lambing season if these rules were followed, but that be sure to go back and thank the faeries within a week of the first ewe lambing, or there would be consequences.

[quote=“SHANNONSIDER**”]Anyone know any good piseogs or know someone highly skilled in the practice of this black art?

I only know the one the old man told me about putting boiled eggs under a fella’s haystacks. Apparently you could really ruin a fella doing a piseog like that on him.[/quote]

I remember we had a book at home filled with them. Fairly off the wall. Catholicism must have seemed downright reasonable next to this stuff.

Ferenka was built on a site containing one of these fairy trees and we all know how that went.