Players Who Had It But Mysteriously Lost It

Think it’s a bit harsh on Duff. Made a shocking decision to join Newcastle but he’s been a bit unlucky with injuries and the likes. Played some decent stuff for Ireland recently but he’s definitely not operating anywhere near the level he was at when Chelsea first bought him.

The ultimate one: Shevchenko.

From European Player of the Year to Chelsea for 30m

The other night he played for the reserves against Reading. He has not been invited into the senior squad for the 2nd leg against Olympiakos.

Garry Laffan

Can’t argue with that.

I thought initially it was a Mourinho thing for not playing him because he didn’t want to him. I thought once Grant/Abramovich took over he would be playing a lot more and may get into a bit of form.

He is obviously going down the road of his mate Mr Rebrov.

Ah you can’t compare Rebrovs career to Shevas.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Can’t argue with that.

I thought initially it was a Mourinho thing for not playing him because he didn’t want to him. I thought once Grant/Abramovich took over he would be playing a lot more and may get into a bit of form.

He is obviously going down the road of his mate Mr Rebrov.[/quote]

i know abramovic has vast sums of money at his disposal but it serves them right for spending 30 million plus on a striker aged 31…for the love and honour of jesus id say ac milan couldnt believe their luck…in fairness shevchenko was top class in his time at milan but he is a player that always relied on his movement and acceleration off the mark…obviously this is going to deteriorate and coupled with shevs lack of physical power i didnt think he was ever going to make it in england…if he had made the move 3 or 4 years earlier he could have been successful…

At the moment you can - i.e. they are both non-existant.

Just read there that Middlesboro are releasing Gaizka Mendieta at the end of the season. There was a smashing player with Valencia at the time the reached two European Cup finals in 2000 and 2001. Went to Lazio for 25 million and was never the same afterwards…

Ivan De La Pena.

Got to the uefa cup final with Espanyol last season, no? Seemed to be playing well for them.

Ronaldinho, although its probably not a mystery why he lost it.

Lost it is a bit harsh when it comes to Ronaldinho.

Gianluigi Lentini

not wishing to sound like Kev here MBB, but thats spoofing of the highest order. I presume you think he has lost it because you dont watch him now that he is playing serie A and isnt on the sky sports reel like he was at Barca. He has 2 goals in 8 starts at Milan, and had a superb game against Parma at the weekend.

in fact…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bK3NHI0YHo

highlights of the goals for you.

[quote=“Gman”]not wishing to sound like Kev here MBB, but thats spoofing of the highest order. I presume you think he has lost it because you dont watch him now that he is playing serie A and isnt on the sky sports reel like he was at Barca. He has 2 goals in 8 starts at Milan, and had a superb game against Parma at the weekend.

in fact…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bK3NHI0YHo

highlights of the goals for you.[/quote]

Gman, thats fair enough, but he was the greatest player in the world, went off the stage with Barca.

At the start of the season he stood up on a table at Milans training ground and promised the team that he was going to work hard to be the player he was in the past. Granted he was at huge heights back then with Barca, but I’ve seen 3 games of his this season (albeit not the weekends game with Parma) and he looked no more average than he did last season when he was seriously a shadow of the player he once was.

Perhaps hes finding his way back this season (I cant see youtube here) but I’ve yet to see it in the games I’ve seen so far.

And its ok Gman, no one wants to sound like that other fella.

I was looking for the “the puke has lost it” thread and found this and felt it worth a bump with Ronnie.

He never had it - really.

[quote=“The Dunph”]With respect Bandage, Boumsong never had it to lose it! And Owen in fairness has been riddled with injuries, plus he hasn’t been aided by the chaff is forced to play with at Newcastle.

Add to that list:

Zenden
Kluivert
Adriano
Duff

Barry Foley (Limerick)
Ray Cosgrove (Dublin)

Chris Jericho
Kane[/quote]

:eek:

I presume Lee Sharpe is on the list…

I havent seen much of Ronaldinho in the last few years but he was a serious player at Barcelona, and his contribution there is overlooked sometimes I find.

I would have said that he has slipped off the radar more than anything - whether he is gone shit or not is another thing.

Mickey O’Connell
Damien Quigley (hurling)

Played virtually every game for Milan in his first season there, scoring 7 goals.

He might not have had the instant impact people were expecting but he was a serious player and a regular international for a very, very good international side at the time.