Podders

How have JK Rowling and Ellen De Generes been “cancelled”?

Maybe I do t fully understand what it is to be cancelled,
Ellen’s show was literally cancelled, Rowling wasn’t invited to any of the Potter reunion stuff I think??

Al porter and mcdermott was because they were accused of and more likely committed sexual assault. Im talking about people who said things.

What did McDermott do anyway? Are we allowed talk about it?
Something to do with an underage girl??

If Ellen De Generes is a victim of so called CANCEL CULTURE™, then surely Brian Moore is, or Paul McLoone, or Clive Tyldesley?

JK Rowling is a billionaire with a massive platform who a lot of people have rightly seen through as a preacher of bigotry against trans people, who are some of the marginalised people in society? Who are the victims here?

Anybody who engages their brain for more than a second can see that so called CANCEL CULTURE™ is a right wing culture war buzzphrase designed to allow bigots with powerful platforms to preach bigotry unchallenged. But there is no such right - and to hold that there is a fundamentally anti-human rights worldview.

Meanwhile the CANCEL CULTURE™ drones are silent as people without power are actually cancelled, and things which promote any sort of worldview which challenges the mindless CANCEL CULTURE™ ideology are cancelled.

I’ve listed a good few in this thread, to complete radio silence from the CANCEL CULTURE™ drones.

As far as I can see, sexual assault absolutely falls under the CANCEL CULTURE™ bandwagon - but only if the person who has committed or is suspected of committing sexual assault is perceived by the bandwagoners to be in some way allied to them. Therefore it is apparently an outrage that Donald Trump should face a backlash and the CANCEL CULTURE™ drones rally around him in cult like fashion, because he’s saying hateful shit they like hearing.

But if the person at the centre of allegations can be perceived as an enemy of the CANCEL CULTURE™ drones, ie. Porter and McDermott, then the CANCEL CULTURE™ drones will be at the forefront of attempts to cancel them.

Same with racism. If it’s a “good” racist, like Joe Rogan, defend them. If it’s a “bad” racist, ie. say, Linda Scooby Doo Hayden (who, let’s be clear, absolutely deserved to be held accountable) they furiously demand cancellation.

The thing is CANCEL CULTURE™ drones don’t actually care about any issues, they only care about cancelling people and things which are inconvenient to them. They are the biggest cancellers around. But it doesn’t have to make sense, because right wing propaganda is always designed to be shameless, transparent bullshit. It shares a hell of a lot with Russian state propaganda in this regard.

I think everyone on all sides should be allowed express their opinions and back it up with evidence. Humans are imperfect and make mistakes but to hold people to account for stuff in the past that is now by todays standards is unacceptable.

That’s fair enough but your post was an attack on Liberals and what you called ‘woke agenda’
Like it doesn’t go both ways,

Do you really think that Carr honestly believes the statements he made literally? Of course not the context of his comedy is to shock people. What makes it funny is its a sacred cow subject, he said something so outrageous and shocking as any normal person would agree is unacceptable but the delivery and timing makes it funny. He wouldn’t say it if he wasn’t going to get the laughs, people wouldn’t laugh if he approaches a taboo subject literally

It does go both ways, both sides of the extreme don’t see that though. My point is more so irony of the woke liberals using this as a tool now whereas we saw what the opposite side did with censorship 100 years ago, without going to the very extreme example but a decent comparison would be McCarthyism in the 50s and attacks on John Lennon, who’s contemporaries are now applying the same tactics

If you don’t agree with a view, or don’t like a person, idea or medium you should either challenge with evidence to discredit or ignore it as it doesn’t effect you. Piling on to silence and cancel people is not an answer.

I listened to the Marcus Luttrell podcast again this morning on my run, Joe nailed these cancel culture assholes perfectly, they are bullies with too much time on their hands basically

1 Like

I think cheasty is correct though the more left wing or liberal you are the more likely you are to be cancelled. Which is the opposite to what you’d imagine given the prevailing talk around it. I believe the word is counter-intuitive. I would have thought before that people are being ‘cancelled’ the whole time but when it was pointed out to me there are very very few who have been.

George Hook, Eoghan Harris, the list is endless, the woke wankers can’t stand free speech, its actually frightening the grip MSM and big Tech have on people

I suppose hook is a good example in fairness but he was probably on the way out anyway due to age. What was Harris cancelled for ?

I can’t remember, I can’t stand those two pricks but they have a right to be heard

1 Like

These lefty headbangers want to shut up anything they don’t agree with. It’s all repressed rage with these so call do gooders.

People think they have some right not to be offended.

They don’t.

1 Like

Big Phil Hogan got cancelled over that covid bullshit, they were queuing up to get him, the likes of that wanker Matt Cooper frothing at the mouth, what was the result, Ireland lost its place at the top table in Europe, well done cunts

6 Likes

I see you point, I think the whole thing is wrong. Whoopie Goldberg was on the end of this week wheres I agree what she sad is wrong but she should apologise for her remarks and acknowledge she was wrong but it’ll always be held against her now