Podders

Only when going places… At home/walking the dog I’d wear sports shorts.

They riled Hector up something else. I am sure Hector played it up a bit himself but I think he was fairly pissed off with them at the same time as it was about his actual aunt. He got over it though

1 Like

Half the globe wear shorts every day.

Auntie Ray ffs

1 Like

It was February 11th. Just happened to listen to it earlier on in the car. Hector was vicious.

1 Like

Auntie Ray was the full back :grinning:

1 Like

@Atticus_Finch was hitching back to Granagh on time and this auld lad gave him a lift,after about 2 miles he dropped the hand and Atticus nearly jumped out even though the car was doin about 40mph

2 Likes

I noticed that myself. …felt quite sorry for myself there for a while

So he didn’t jump out.

1 Like

RIP

Hector’s people must have been big shots. With their big Meath farms and their shop in the town.

1 Like

And a new car.

1 Like

Good discussion

Great conversation.

1 Like

Must have a listen to this,
have you heard it @Thomas_Brady ?

No… He’s way off there. He’s mixing up a lot of secret societies and their so called objectives and origins and putting it all on the whiteboys. I presume the US angle is in relation to the Molly Maguire’s… I think he’s over egging the affect they had. I’m pretty sure a form of agrarian banditry existed long before hedge schools also… Most of them were to enforce the moral economy and react to local issues or trespassers of local issues… Ribbonmen were different again, and they certainly had a more political or ideological outlook, but it was predominantly set up to counter the Orange Order.

You also had the peep o days, Lady Clares, Rockites among other agrarian groups.

2 Likes

I’m well up on the agrarian groups, I spent two days in the national archives trying to find worthwhile sources for a project on the Shanovests but it wasn’t to be, an awful waste of my time :grinning:

He’s using the Whiteboys as a catch all term there, might have a listen though

1 Like

I’ll give it a go , but that’s exactly what he’s doing. You can forget about shanavests… Did you check police records for rioting around this dates? Probably called them whiteboys not shanavests… That’s half the problem with agrarian groups, the police and magistrates just called them all whiteboys or Ribbonmen.

1 Like

Ah it was a long time ago and I’m sketchy on the details, it was a geographical area and timeframe I was researching, was it up around NorthTipp they operated? I was fascinated by those groups at the time and knew that very little was known about the Shanovests, Chambers advised me it would be a wild goose chase but he gave me his blessing

South Tipp/ Waterford.