Post Ewan McKenna

Oh aye, the woolen mills. The ‘Manchester of Ireland’. Didn’t realise it was the quakers.

I don’t go to Mountmellick. It’s a fucking shithole.

The Quakers did a lot of good during the Famine.

Alright sorts so they are.

I’d have more time for them than the Dubs who moved into Port anyway

2 Likes

Were they involved in the Donaghmore Workhouse?

It has the most gorgeous Christmas tree. At Christmas time. :nerd_face:

It really doesnt.

Quakers were Mountmellick.

Portarlington was founded by Huguenots. French Protestants.

Lots of French names in the area still.
La Cumbre, Blanc, Champ.

2 Likes

I remember an old history teacher of mine reference the fact their gravestones were always the same size no matter how rich or poor they were.

Took a look one day beside Punches hotel and he was right.

Very different to a Catholic graveyard.

2 Likes

I knew it was the French. Even when I said it was the Quakers, I knew it was the French.

1 Like

That’s the way their graveyard in Waterford is. You see it and think why aren’t all graveyards like this.

1 Like

Its makes sense in fairness - think they were/are right.

1 Like

Which sides of punches? Must have walked a hundred times to Kings shop as a kid and never noticed a graveyard.

There is a small gate/entrance there on the left hand side after the petrol station (think its a Spar shop) before Punches hotels car park as you’re heading towards O’Connell avenue into town.

Not kings/ new street… The other side of punches

Decent sorts. Thick as thieves too.

I’m taking about walking to kings from ballinacurra.

Know exactly where you’re saying but never paid attention before. Long time since walking that way. Interesting to look at next time I’m out that way

2 Likes

The meeting house and graveyard are balllinacurra side of punches.

Was at a Quaker funeral in '18. Graveyard exactly like that, all headstone the same, no ostentatious shite. At service then congregation invited to speak about the deceased, stand up and “Paddy was a gas cunt” etc, nice idea but could go wrong I suppose

2 Likes

Ewan has the Irish establishment Quaking in their boots