Prayers

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]You’re quite the man actually.

So great for no longer praying but not man enough to stand up for your pinciples and going every now and again because of the parents.

Faith is something very important to some people. And to come across with a patronising tone about praying such as the above - well there is no need for it.

When it comes to religion each to their own I say. I have seen people slag others for going to Mass, I have seen others slag people for not going to Mass. Neither is acceptable. But never have I seen someone belittle religion whilst at the same time partaking in it because they are too chicken shit to go against it.[/QUOTE]

Well I don’t really give a shit what you think farmer but here it is for the record.

A couple of years back my father nearly died from cancer. It was probably the worst period of my whole life and it hit the whole family very hard. My father eventually made a revovery, and having been raised in a typical catholic environment like every other Irish man of his generation he saw prayer as having played a part in his recovery. I on the other hand find religion a load of superstitious nonsense, a natural social reflex to the unknown, cynically manipulated as a form of social control. Throughout human history, it has been anti-science, it has been anti-tolerance, and it is responsible for some of the most horrible episodes of brutality ever known. But it matters to my aul fella because of what he went through. So despite having made my feelings on the matter clear to both him and my mother, I sometimes go when I’m home out of respect for him because I know it makes him feel better.

So in summation farmer, go fuck yourself.

[quote=“Watch The Break”]Well I don’t really give a shit what you think farmer but here it is for the record.

A couple of years back my father nearly died from cancer. It was probably the worst period of my whole life and it hit the whole family very hard. My father eventually made a revovery, and having been raised in a typical catholic environment like every other Irish man of his generation he saw prayer as having played a part in his recovery. I on the other hand find religion a load of superstitious nonsense, a natural social reflex to the unknown, cynically manipulated as a form of social control. Throughout human history, it has been anti-science, it has been anti-tolerance, and it is responsible for some of the most horrible episodes of brutality ever known. But it matters to my aul fella because of what he went through. So despite having made my feelings on the matter clear to both him and my mother, I sometimes go when I’m home out of respect for him because I know it makes him feel better.

So in summation farmer, go fuck yourself.[/QUOTE]

Good explanation WTB. Glad to hear your aul lad is better by the way. :guns:

I do surely. Have accounts with most of them but usually Boylesports these days.

You’ve never played poker with me. You’d be left in nothing but your socks.

[quote=“Watch The Break”]Well I don’t really give a shit what you think farmer but here it is for the record.

:guns:

I like the gumption in that post. Farmer is a quisling of the highest order, he’s an uneducated pleb so give him abuse at any chance.

Me and prayer, religion etc. I dont do it or dont believe in it. I was born and raised a Catholic but if there was a simple application here to dissolve your faith I would be there in the morning. It has caused a massive stir on the last few Xmas mornings. Auld wan nearly in tears that I wont go, other family members almost offering me money to go but for me some things are worth fighting for and my total belief in religion being the opium of the masses is absolute.

Still though I accept that anyone can believe it what they want to believe good luck to them. At the end of the day it is a smaller item in the greater scheme of things,

Farmer is still a knob

I like the gumption in that post. Farmer is a quisling of the highest order, he’s an uneducated pleb so give him abuse at any chance.

Me and prayer, religion etc. I dont do it or dont believe in it. I was born and raised a Catholic but if there was a simple application here to dissolve your faith I would be there in the morning. It has caused a massive stir on the last few Xmas mornings. Auld wan nearly in tears that I wont go, other family members almost offering me money to go but for me some things are worth fighting for and my total belief in religion being the opium of the masses is absolute.

Still though I accept that anyone can believe it what they want to believe good luck to them. At the end of the day it is a smaller item in the greater scheme of things,

Farmer is still a knob[/QUOTE]

How the fuck is he a knob when he’s saying exactly what you think.

Farmer says to WTB: You’re quite the man actually. So great for no longer praying but not man enough to stand up for your pinciples and going every now and again because of the parents.

You say then : Auld wan nearly in tears that I wont go, other family members almost offering me money to go but for me some things are worth fighting

Yet you call Farmer an uneducated pleb and a knob for agreeing with your principles.

You couldn’t make it up.

You shouldn’t feel obliged to defend yourself on the interweb WTB but that’s something anyone with a heart can relate to. Glad to hear that your auld man is alright. :thumbsup:

Ah get the fuck.

Flano= Internet Lard Man :mad:

I’ll kerb stomp your ass.

That sounds gay

When your face and skull are smashed in that wouldn’t be of much concern really.

Id go to mass maybe two Sundays out of four,id say a few prayers when im at mass,other than that id only pray if an event occured like somebody i know being involved in accident and being in a bad way in hospital,stuff like that.Im big into praying in the build up to big club games though,id go into the chapel at home the evening before a big game and say a decade for the cause,the next morning id hit down to the graveyard,its only down the road from my house and visit my father and a few other hurling men from the club who are at rest there and give them the today must be the day lads thing,be lookin down on us,hasnt work yet but some day…

Didn’t you once get your ears boxed by a rabbit flano??

I’ve a headache.

Didn’t you once get ass raped by your uncle?

Flano and Julio down by the schoolyard

Flano why are you so obsessed with my ass?

:eek:

[quote=“Gaillimharais”]How the fuck is he a knob when he’s saying exactly what you think.

Farmer says to WTB: You’re quite the man actually. So great for no longer praying but not man enough to stand up for your pinciples and going every now and again because of the parents.

You say then : Auld wan nearly in tears that I wont go, other family members almost offering me money to go but for me some things are worth fighting

Yet you call Farmer an uneducated pleb and a knob for agreeing with your principles.

You couldn’t make it up.[/QUOTE]

Was only following the long standing TFK principle of attacking the poster not the post. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am sorry to hear that about your Dad and delighted to hear that he made a recovery but there are a few points that I have to make.

First of all, you are being incredibly snobbish towards religion and even to your father’s generation. My family would be the very same, deeply religious bordering on the blind when it comes to priests. And you know what - they have got something out of it. They are in the latter stages of their lives and I look at them , all 20 odd years educated in science, tolerance and all, and I say if I am like that when I am their age then I will be happy.

Second of all, your Dad and presumably other parts of your family used religion to get them through that difficult time. And they got through it. So why belittle it? Why launch a tirade against something which has touched people close to you and allowed them to come through such a tough period of their life?

I go to Mass most weeks because I feel like I get something out of it. I have had tough periods in my life, reached out and came through it. I am not saying that it was completely responsible but it certainly didn’t do any harm.

Finally, I must say it is a bit nasty making me look like some kind of heartless bastard in the above post. Of course I was completely unaware of your situtaion and dare I say, it actually in some ways adds to the point that I was trying to make.

To finish - I recall a quote by Jeremy Paxman on that BBC show where they face their family tree. I generally find Paxman quite a pompous fucker at times but he said something in that which was very interesting. His grandmother was deeply religious, and the person he was speaking to attempted to sneer at it as if she was some sort of uneducated yob. Paxman said how dare he do that, she lived for 90 odd years and had serious setbacks. Fair enough if you don’t believe but don’t sneer at people who do. It is entirely personal.

That was essentially the point I was making.