Premier League 2021-2022 (the Footix thread)

7 of the 8 highest points totals in the 30 season history of the EPL recorded across the past 5 years. The financial disparity between the top sides and the rest is widening.

The Glazers must be scratching their heads given the unprecedented backing they have given.

Where would those points or points per game tallies compare to historical first division records I wonder. Bar Preston North end winning every game or the likes I’d imagine they are the highest ever?

Burley had won wins against the top four than Liverpool.

How many games had Burnely against the top 4?

Carragher is a dirty cunt who shouldn’t be working in punditry

1 Like

It used to be a grand oul’ league.

1 Like

He only needs 800 million more to spend to win a second one.

1 Like

& a killer pandemic which means fans cant go to games, unlike the MGLF id say the oirish footix are praying that monkey pox has something about it

No. You’re celebrating 6th! Liverpool fans have had a rough 24 hours and are back to their favourite topic… United.

Big shout out to the Liverpool fans in the ploughman’s (formerly kinsealy inn) who brought their replica trophies to the pub yesterday then threatened a fight with a man city fan who touched the league trophy afterwards. Apparently he wasnt showing the respect the liverpool fans were demanding…

2 Likes

What a bunch of absolute gobshites.

I have passed that place a few times in the car. It looks like a very English council estate pub from the outside.

:joy:

Coach Klopp has you turning into Ray Von

Liverpool have fellas lives destroyed. @BruidheanChaorthainn see’s Klopp every time he closes his eyes, and now poor @Juhniallio is down with the affliction

6 Likes

Furiously refreshing Twitter for some arbitrary statistics. Klopp has them destroyed.

1 Like

Derby won the league and Spurs went down? United were in the second division?

Was it 2 or 3 relegated back then?

Edit: 3 as per Wikipedia

For all the talk of equality and different teams winning etc.

I think everyone of those teams played in the EPL bar Carlisle. 12 of them still do.

A google tells me United, Villa and Norwich came up that year. So the top 25, would have taken in 15 of the current EPL. Norwich yo-yoing even then

The only ones not in it Southampton (D2) Brighton & Palace and Watford (D3) and Brentford (D4).

No one from outside the top four leagues in 1957, has made it to the EPL

It’s a closed shop. Has been since way back

When is “way back”?

There’s a clear dividing line there as to when English football became or started to become largely a “closed shop”. That’s 1992.

The Premier League isn’t a closed shop in terms of getting into it. Bar the once in a lifetime aberration of Leicester, it’s a closed shop in terms of winning it or even being towards the top of it.

There’s no way one can seriously argue that football now and the imbalances of wealth inherent in the game across all the top leagues are comparable to what went before.

When Liverpool won the last seven matches of the 1985/86 season to win the league it was regarded as something improbable. Now it’s pretty much taken as a given that if you drop more than five or six points post-Christmas, ie. the last 20 matches, you probably won’t win the league.

1 Like

Wigan?

1 Like