Premier League 2021-2022 (the Footix thread)

Spurs beat Chelsea 2-0 a few games from the end of the 1974/75 season. We stayed up by 1 point, they were relegated.

The Chelsea headhunters (or whatever they were called then) kicked off in a big way and the Yid Army saw them right as well.

Wimbledon?

What year did Spurs go down?

Two seasons later - 1976/77

1 Like

Is the correct answer.

Elected to the Football League in 1977. Reached the First Division in 1986.

I think automatic promotion and relegation between the Football League and non-league didn’t come in until 1987 and for a long time after that it was just one up, one down.

Of the 22 clubs who participated in the 1991-92 First Division, three were relegated to the Vauxhall Conference - Notts, County, Luton and Oldham, and Wimbledon ceased to exist in their then form.

Incompetence will always exist in football.

Wigan is also correct I think?

Wigan replaced Southport in the Football League in 1978, a year after Wimbledon had replaced Workington.

I remember Rafa Benitez got awful stick from Sky for calling Everton a small club. The same Sky who refer to a Big Four/Six.

It’s interesting to watch clubs that had a short period of success like Everton and Manchester Red Devils fade into a situation where the highlight of their season is avoiding relegation or Liverpool not winning every single trophy.

hard to underestimate the affect Heysel had on Everton tbh, they never really recovered being unable to go for the European Cup

3 Likes

Everton recovered sufficiently to win the league title two years later in 1986/87.

Hard to believe that the aforementioned fat cunt, Rafa Benitez, would one day declare himself “delighted” on becoming the new Everton manager.

As for the second point, yeah, it’s called a rivalry, the match going reds get that.

2 Likes

Yes but in a year when Steau won the big jug I don’t think it’s a stretch to say Everton could have won it in 1986. They had beaten Bayern on route to winning cup winners cup year before. I always maintain Liverpool fans cost Everton a European cup

4 Likes

PSV won the year Everton would have been in for too in 88.

And arguably Liverpool themselves missing the years Porto and Red Star winning in years Liverpool missed.

You cant guarantee either of them would have won any of those 4, but considering an English team was in the final in 9 of the previous 11 finals before Hysel, they stood a good chance.

But a load of scumbags fucked that up.

1 Like

Oooft

1 Like

Oooofffttt

Must bring back happy memories of Liverpool celebrating Blackburn winning the title on the final day of the season in 1995 - the whole crowd singing YNWA after the final whistle.

As bad a put down as I’ve seen in a good while. The Kop Couchers will be seething

1 Like

The time Liverpool beat Blackburn to open the door for Utd to win the league? Liverpool got booed by their own fans that day.

We’ve a European Cup final this week. The third in five years. It’s a great time to be a Red.

You joined at a good time.