Premier League 2022/23

1-0 to the Arsenal

2-0 to the Arsenal

Fulham being torn to shreds, powderpuff stuff

This relegation scrap is the best ever I’d say.

Valuable point for Southampton today.

West Ham really needed all 3 at home to Villa.

Arteta has Arsenal purring

Five points separating nine teams now.

I’d be looking at 12th place Crystal Palace as very vulnerable. Just four goals in their last 10 league games. They badly need to take something away to Brighton on Wednesday. Most of their other remaining games are against the other relegation scrappers but the difference is the others have known all season that they’re in a battle to avoid relegation whereas Palace are the classic mid-table team who thought they were safe who are suddenly going backwards.

Palace haven’t had a shot on target in 3 matches.

7 of their remaining 12 games are away.

How many points for safety? Burnley went down on 35 last season.

Think palace have too many big strong lads to go down. They’re like the ingerland rubby team. About 60 lads all out of the same mold. Big, strong and not overly bright but will dog out enough results against the poorer teams to avoid the wooden spoon of relegation.
I’d add that I’m basing this entirely on having watched them against manyoo after swilling wine since noon.

1 Like

Starting to think arsenal might actually do it. Second biggest shock winners since old Etonians in 1889

Claudio Ranieri says hello

4 Likes

There would be quite a few ahead of them in the queue for second. Maybe up to a quarter of the teams who have ever won it.

They’d be the biggest outsiders (apart from Leicester obviously) in 40 years anyway. Maybe villa last big surprise winners?
What other surprises were there before that? Derby forest

I’d say Leeds were a big outsider when they won in the early 90s

Yeah true. I think they were only up in top flight the year before

Everton 1984/85.

Would have been third favourites behind Liverpool and Manchester United I’d say. Maybe joint third favourites with Spurs.

Everton finished outside of Top 6 in each of the 5 seasons prior to winning the title in 1984/85. In January 1984, Howard Kendall was quite possibly less than 10 minutes away from getting the sack at the Manor Ground, Oxford before Kevin Brock intervened.

1 Like

True but Everton had a very solid finish to the 1983/84 season including winning the FA Cup which generally would have pushed a team into the ranks of plausible title contenders.

The likes of Watford and Southampton though each had finished second to Liverpool over the previous couple of years wouldn’t have been seen as genuine title contenders at the start of a season whereas Everton were a big club with recent memory of winning league titles.

I’d imagine Manchester United would have been by far seen as the primary threat to Liverpool having been neck and neck down the run in with Liverpool in the 83/84 season before collapsing in the last six or seven games.

Nottingham Forest finished 3rd in 1983/84. Od imagine with a lot of the back to back European Cup winning side of just a few years previously still on board, they would have ranked above Everton in pecking order.