Premier League 2022/23

Possibly but Forest were a fairly transitional team by that stage with most of the European Cup winners and Peter Taylor gone. Serious football people would have rated Everton as a threat. Spurs would have been in the mix too in that 3 to 5 bracket having won the UEFA Cup but Keith Burkinshaw had departed which would have thrown a cloud of uncertainty over things. As it was they finished third.

The big season defining moment for Everton in winning the title in 1984/85 was probably a brilliant late Neville Southall save at White Hart Lane in a game in early April when Everton were winning 1-2. Spurs were 2nd and just a few points behind.

Spurs actually won 1-4 at Everton in the opening game of that season. Everton lost their second game as well that season too, yet another instance of a title winning side losing its first 2 games of the season.

1 Like

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

1 Like

Ipswich 1960 under Alf Ramsay.
Forest 1978
Leicester 2016

Arsenal winning this year isnā€™t in same league as above 3

1 Like

I doubt any would have been as big a price with the bookies as arsenal were at the start of this year. People are almost forgetting how big a shock it would have been at the start

So it would be the 2nd biggest shock in 45 years? Fuck when you put it like that

happy grumpy cat GIF

Thatā€™s just the Paddy Footix, soccer began in 1992 mindset. Woolwich finished 5th last season, and have only finished outside the Top 6 in 2 of the last 27 seasons. If that what constitutes a seismic shock in the EPL Sky Sports Sunday era, so be it.

Ipswich won the league in 1961/62, not 1959/60. Along with Spurs 1950/51 and Nottingham Forest 1977/78, Ipswich won the title first season after promotion from Division 2.

Graeme Sharpā€™s goal at Anfield was when they arrived as genuine title contenders.

Neville Southall was Footballer Of The Year that season.

Big Nev was by a distance the best number 1 in football at that time

He was outstanding. The Lansdowne Road ground staff did Liverpool a massive favour by having the pitch in such appalling condition that Southall broke his ankle in Jack Charltonā€™s first match in charge of Ireland in March 1986. Everton might well have won the league only for that. Yet another example of how Liverpool is Irelandā€™s team.

I remember that season, Everton led throughout, Bobby Mimms was no Big Nev

There was no Match Of The Day for much of that season. But Gary Lineker was very prominent.

Both Match Of The Day and Lineker had departed by the following season.

The title decider that year at white hart lane he made a save from mark falco that has stayed with me, even though I was a nipper at the time

Leagues very rarely have winners outside the first 2 or 3 favourites Iā€™d say. Especially in the modern era of the coterie of moneyed super franchises but even in the past too

Back in the day it would have been a frequent enough occurrence Iā€™d say. The game was different and so many different teams had a chance. There were seven different title winners between 1967 and 1973.

I doubt many were tipping Burnley to win the league in 1960 or Ipswich in 1962.

Itā€™s been a very poor year. The two teams that were pushing each other to record points tallies have both dropped off. A stuttering man utd with a new manager are still in the raceā€¦ No one can put a run together to cement 4th.

In that regards itā€™s not much of a shockā€¦ But if youā€™re talking day 1 of the season, yes, most had them battling for 4th. Thatā€™s hardly huge still tho.

The fact of one sub so small squads helped even the playing field

Man U still in the title race? If Spurs win at The Dell against bottom of the table Southampton on Saturday they go above them in the table.