Price of a Haircut

Just spent 20.00 for a haircut. I’ve gone to the same guy now for a year now and I think it’s good value. Hairwashed by the lovely Vicky, mug of coffee and a read of the gossip mags while he works away.

What do the rest of ye pay? Do you think I’m paying too much? The guy I go to is real good, top notch scissor work.

€20.00 is what I would expect to pay going in a decent place. I’ve gone for the dodgy €12-€15 places in the past. Best cut I’ve ever gotten is in the barbers in Dundrum shopping centre and the cost, €20 of course.

i am going to the same place for about 5 or 6 years but she only changes ten euro…and its a noble cut for that…

I generally go for a straightforward blade 2 at the back and sides with a blade 4 on top and get them to shave through the fringe. This costs €16 in the place I go to on Baggot Street but this new eccentric English guy only charged me a tenner a couple of weeks ago after we had a great chat about football:

Him: ‘You like the footie?’
Me: ‘Yep.’
Him: ‘I’m a big Spurs man - I really miss going down the Lane. Who you support?’
Me: ‘Celtic.’
Him: ‘You got that McGreedy (sic) boy - he’s coming down the Lane.’
Me: ‘I hadn’t heard about that.’
Him: ‘He is yeah…A lot of you Irish like Celtic. We actually have a young Irish lad down the Lane - great little player, Jamie O’Hare (sic).’
Note - Jamie O’Hara was playing for England U-21s last night.
Me: ‘Oh right. I think I’ve heard of him alright.’
Him: ‘I bet you hate huns. I was in Glasgow once and I hate huns.’
Me: ‘You could say I wouldn’t be a huge fan of them I suppose.’
Him: ‘Met this bird - massive tits, you know what I mean? She was a hun though.’
Me: ‘Really.’

And on it continued for fooking ages. He kept stopping to converse and wouldn’t use the blade while speaking. He’d pause and lean down and look in the mirror to make eye contact while he was prattling on. It literally took 45 minutes to get a simple blade 2 and 4. Because he was talking incessantly the whole time it only seemed like half that and after his generosity in charging me a tenner I tipped him a fiver and proceeded on my merry way. When I got home I realised what an awful job he’d done - he missed clumps of hair with the blade and I looked like an absolute freak. I had to cut some of it myself.

20 euro is a lot to pay for a haircut I think. I don’t want a fooking cup of tea. Get in, get out and don’t look back.

Michael in Mohill charges me a tenner, sometimes less if he wants. Mind you like Bandage my haircut is fairly straightforward - blade 2 all around and take the fringe.

I used to get it cut in a spot on Store Street when I worked in the IFSC who charged a tenner but a 2 euro tip was mandatory. Seeing that there is not a barber’s shop within an ass’ roar of me where I work now my new Dublin barber shop of choice is some spot in Terenure where the lads that barber (word?)have a combined age of around 200!! 13 euro though which is decent value…

I’ve been to a barber/hairdresser twice in the last 10 years. Went to the UCD barber in UCD to get my hair bleached and spent four hours in the place - cracking service though. Probably cost around 15/20

Then no professional (or even reasonably accurate) hair cut for the last 10 years. Until last week. Went to Leitrim and got it done there. Cracking banter in the shop but I was the youngest customer by about 30 years. Reasonable job but I’m not happy with the front of it. Cost €7 for it. Mostly scissors work but a bit of bladework at the back.

My current barbers suits me ideally. They are very close to my house, they are generally competent (one of the lads there is excellent), don’t engage in much chit-chat once they realise you don’t go for that, the queues are usually small, and they charge 13 euros for the privilege. I’ve often been to ‘barbers’ that don’t tick any of these boxes.

For some reason though i’ll generally stick with a place i’m happy with for a year or two and then move on. I find that the more they cut your hair, the slacker they get as they think you’re more or less set with them, like you’re signing over your soul or something. I like to keep the barber industry on their toes in that regard. Ye should never let them think your happy with them. I’d this one barber a few years ago who started off great becasue nobody used go there and he was really good, we’d have great chats about gaa and soccer etc, but after a while he was taking the mickey. At the start he used to be showing me the back of my hair with the mirror, asking if i wanted gel etc. By the end he seemed to think all he’d to do was have the bit of chat with me about last nights match and pretend to cut my hair. I wasn’t long saying fook that.

By the way, what do the rest of ye think about enforced chatting to some of them?

[quote=“The Dunph”]My current barbers suits me ideally. They are very close to my house, they are generally competent (one of the lads there is excellent), don’t engage in much chit-chat once they realise you don’t go for that, the queues are usually small, and they charge 13 euros for the privilege. I’ve often been to ‘barbers’ that don’t tick any of these boxes.

For some reason though i’ll generally stick with a place i’m happy with for a year or two and then move on. I find that the more they cut your hair, the slacker they get as they think you’re more or less set with them, like you’re signing over your soul or something. I like to keep the barber industry on their toes in that regard. Ye should never let them think your happy with them. I’d this one barber a few years ago who started off great becasue nobody used go there and he was really good, we’d have great chats about gaa and soccer etc, but after a while he was taking the mickey. At the start he used to be showing me the back of my hair with the mirror, asking if i wanted gel etc. By the end he seemed to think all he’d to do was have the bit of chat with me about last nights match and pretend to cut my hair. I wasn’t long saying fook that.

By the way, what do the rest of ye think about enforced chatting to some of them?[/quote]

Good point Dunph. The lad in Leitrim showed me a mirror to see the back of the head because he figured I was a visitor and new to his premises. I was fourth in line for a cut though and none of the others got that privilege - in fact none of them even got asked anything about what they wanted.

I thought the banter was decent craic but it was ages since I’d been to one and I was more listening to general conversations across the shop than contribting myself.

Got my hair cut for 9 euro last week. Good job too. Good banter session as he was a Joe Dublin.

Found a place in Enniscorthy a few weeks ago that did my cut for 7. Some Chinese lad - he spent a good half hour doing it and its the best cut I had in ages. Told him to hold onto the 3 change and would gladly have given him more. Not much chit chat cos his English was as good as my chinese. He understood blade 2 on the back and sides a good bit off the top.

Funny though cos theres a place directly across the road that now charge 15 - the cut is muck (lasts about 5 mins), the craic is non-existent and there was a queue of 5 people waiting while the chinese dude was busy bidding for stuff on ebay!

Usually get it done in the barbers across from the cop shop in Rathmines. 14 for a decent cut and a chat with a different fella/girl every time. I only get it done about 2 a year tho.

Used to get one of the lads or the girlfriend to do it but because it looks like it could be disappearing down the shower drain at an ever increasing rate I’ve decided to make the best use of it while I still have it.

I used to frequent Willie’s Barbers in Ballyfermot, but got tired of the constant Ali-G conversation and converse runner wearing idiots that were in the queue. I also got pissed off getting slagged by the barber because I don’t like a number 0 blade to go with the Nike 95 tracksuit that I don’t actually have.

Two years ago I made the switch(blade) to town and never looked back. I pay €14 in the Capel Street Barber. Whether it be the woman barber or the gentleman barber a good conversation is always guaranteed. There’s also a good choice of newspapers on a leather couch in the unlikely event that you have to wait.

Usually it’s just myself and the barber in the place! That’s not to say that they are bad barbers (they’ve been my local for two trusted years now and not a bad cut yet), it’s just unfortunate that the Clyde Mowld type idiots who go for Ryanair close shaves (€5 dry cut barbers) are eating into an old gentleman’s type barber business in the city centre. These McBarbers should be banned imo, I don’t like the idea of a botched haircut because the barber is rushing to get the next punter on the chair, fook that, you get what you pay for in this world!

I’d love a 5euro haircut. wheres the place ben?

[quote=“BenShermin”]I used to frequent Willie’s Barbers in Ballyfermot, but got tired of the constant Ali-G conversation and converse runner wearing idiots that were in the queue. I also got pissed off getting slagged by the barber because I don’t like a number 0 blade to go with the Nike 95 tracksuit that I don’t actually have.

Two years ago I made the switch(blade) to town and never looked back. I pay 14 in the Capel Street Barber. Whether it be the woman barber or the gentleman barber a good conversation is always guaranteed. There’s also a good choice of newspapers on a leather couch in the unlikely event that you have to wait.

Usually it’s just myself and the barber in the place! That’s not to say that they are bad barbers (they’ve been my local for two trusted years now and not a bad cut yet), it’s just unfortunate that the Clyde Mowld type idiots who go for Ryanair close shaves (5 dry cut barbers) are eating into an old gentleman’s type barber business in the city centre. These McBarbers should be banned imo, I don’t like the idea of a botched haircut because the barber is rushing to get the next punter on the chair, fook that, you get what you pay for in this world![/quote]

There is a €6 haircut on Bachelors Walk, beside the Millenium Bridge, there is also one or two cheap McBarbers on Talbot Street. That includes taxes and charges btw.

Hold on a second, all you get is a number 1 or 0 blade all over, why the fook do you need to spend 20 on that!!

I’ll have to try them out the next time i’m in the capital. I presume they just shave your hair like you’d shave a dog i.e. pure basic?

Never had the pleasure of going into one of these barbers so I really couldn’t say. My friend frequents these McBarbers alright and his hair is a constant mess, then again the poor chap in general is just a mess that looks like a traveller so he might not be the best person to judge what the haircut will be like!

I’ve never had a 1 let alone a 0 blade near my head. What gave you that idea?

get a decent cut for a tenner in Waterford. Wouldnt go too often either, maybe 4 times a year. Wouldnt bother me about chat. If he spoke I’d talk back, if he didnt, it would depend on what mood I’m in. I usually go in early morning to the barber so wouldnt be quite awake and be too bothered in making pointless talk.

Are you locked there Gman? I cant make out what you’re talking about in parts of that post