Price of a Pint

The price of a pint of lager in my local in Dublin has been 5 for the past couple of years. It’s pretty expensive alright but to be honest I didn’t mind when they raised the price from 4.90 as having a load of fooking change in your pocket / wallet is an absolute pain in the ass on a night out. We were advised down there at lunchtime today that they’ll be raising the price again as a result of supplier price increases and, though the final price hasn’t been set yet, a pint is likely to be around 5.20 from Monday onwards.

This is quite ridiculous in terms of value for money but also because of the increased amount of shrapnel in the wallet this will entail. If you give them a tenner for a pint you’re going to get back a couple of 2 euro coins, then a fifty cent piece, a twenty cent piece and a ten cent piece. In fact this annoys me more than the price increase itself now that I think about it and can you imagine the hassle of carrying all those coins around the place if you’re on an all dayer?

But getting back to price - if you ponder it for a second, paying in excess of a fiver for a pint of beer is absolute robbery. But I’m going to keep going back there as it’s pretty much all the same around south city centre Dublin.

I usually have a 5 rule. Even in nightclubs. Just think its daylight robbery paying more than 5 for a pint.

Agreed, I feel like I’m being raped handing over a fiver with coinage for a hint!

Was down in the pub last night and the fooks had already raised the price of a pint to Eur5.20 because they wanted to cream their customers over the weekend. We got entrenched as a result and refused to pay the new price so we came to an understanding whereby we paid our usual Eur5 for a 547ml glass of beer as opposed to Eur5.20 for a pint (568ml). I did the calculations via the calculator on my phone. We’re now going to start a protest campaign in conjunction with the rest of the regulars.

I was only commenting a while ago that the price of a pint in general, in most places I visit wasn’t too bad. Maybe it was just a random sequence of pubs I visited that charged less than 4 euro for a pint, and comparing it with the old money it struck as fairly reasonable.

The timing of this latest increase is shite though, especially what with all the pubs dying off nonsense. Poor form.

Down home last night. Three pints of the finest stout for €10.80.

Now that’s what I call value.

Biggest rip-off of a pub I have seen is The Habourmaster. 4.90 for Guinness, 5.20 for Heineken and 6.00 even for pint bottler of Bulmers. Pints are hit or miss and the service is disgraceful with the biggest gobshites of barmen I have ever met in my life.

I know there are other places with higher prices - was in Renards a few months ago and it was €6 for a pint of Heineken but you woulexpect that there. Not in some shithole in the IFSC though…

1 Like

Pints in the local last night. €3.70 for stout. Sa-wheet!

Having considered the matter over the weekend we’re going to do a Mac on it and bhoycott our local. €5 is a ceiling in my book and paying €5.20 for a pint of lager is inherently wrong. We now have to form a shortlist of candidate pubs around the south city centre / Baggot Street / Leeson Street / Ballsbridge / Donnybrook / Ranelagh area before choosing one to make our new home. Key requirements: good beer, pints €5 or less, comfortable surroundings, good service, have Sky Sports and Setanta, can show games on different channels simultaneously, weekend breakfast option, Celtic friendly and not slaves to rugby or English football, a female presence on occasion and a decent music selection at night.

Does such a place exist?

So basically you are looking for another 51 with prices a fiver or less?

Any way of negotiating a lower price there with staff for you, Jugs and cesc4? You are putting the owner’s kids through college after all…

As well - did the explanation they gave you for the price increase not infer that prices would be increasing in other pubs? I haven’t experiences that but then again I have only been down the country. Maybe it is a Dublin thing.

I have to say I have always found that pub particularly expensive. It is primarily a local pub and should not have it’s prices so high. What are prices like in other pubs in the area - the pub across the road? Can’t imagine many being higher than that…

McSorleys in Ranelagh? Have screens all over the shop. Not sure of the prices though. Lovely food in there.

Finding a pub that is not a “slave” to English football would be quite a find.

Not necessarily. I’m sure there must be some pubs around my designated area that showed the La Liga game last night instead of Bristol Rovers-West Brom or the Celtic cup tie ahead of Middlesboro’-Cardiff. Probably not many but there must be some. Any idea on the prices in McSorley’s? Myself, cecs4 and the bhoy started a Baggot Street price check exercise at lunchtime to begin the search for a new home.

I’d say ye’d be doing very well to find a pub that will consistently show Celtic matches when they clash with EPL. Price of a pint in the 51 seems ridiculous but other than deciding that your local is now on Wesmoreland Street I’m not sure you’ve much of a choice. Other than maybe the Portobello - no idea how far away that is from where you live but they’ve been decent about showing Celtic in the past haven’t they.

Not sure of prices but you could always give them a ring and ask!!!

http://www.sandyford.com/company_locator/company_profile.html?id=1443

I also think one of the managers there is a Wexford man Bandage.

The findings from our search thus far are:
The Wellington: Heineken €5, Guiness €4.50 (former prices of The 51)
The Waterloo: Heineken €5.20, Guinness €4.70 (owned by the same people as The 51 and checked to see if their price increase was consistent which it was)
Searson’s: Heinken €5.20, Guinness €4.85 (rising to Heineken €5.50, Guiness €5.15 on Friday and Saturday nights - then again this is a rugby haven / shithole)
Need to move upwards along Baggot Street towards town and also get the prices in venues in Ballsbridge, Ranelagh and Donnybrook. We plan to get the other Baggot Street prices during the course of our quarterly half-day session which takes place on Gold Cup Friday in Q1 2008.

Lesson to be learnt here is. Drink Guinness. It’s cheaper

What you make up for drinking Guinness you lose in the cost of Bog Roll

Get a bidet. Or go to someone elses house, or the local pub(have a pint after too). Many ways to get around buying bog roll. Or even rob the jacks roll from work if the cost of jacks roll is that much of a concern