Price of a Pint

What you lose in lagers is valuable drinking time when you’re frequenting the toilets!

2.20 a pint of Carling,2.00 a bottle of Becks or 1.50 a bottle of Kronenberg.
It’s no wonder i’m pissed most of the time.
Get to Manchester the alco capitol of the world…ish.

[quote=“manusboyle”]2.20 a pint of Carling,2.00 a bottle of Becks or 1.50 a bottle of Kronenberg.
It’s no wonder i’m pissed most of the time.
Get to Manchester the alco capitol of the world…ish.[/quote]

And 2.50 for a Full English to wash it down in the morning.

It’s a quid in the works canteen for bacon,sausage,black pudding and egg on toast.

Superb for soaking up the Becks.

It’s Drink Awareness Day in work today but i’m not playing,i’m very drink aware i don’t need telling how to do it.

Friday’s half-day drinking session saw some new developments in our quest for a local.

We started in The Wellington on Baggot Street attracted both by their price listing displaying pints of lager for a fiver and the near proximity of the canal with all the disease ridden prostitutes within mere spitting distance.

However, we were shocked to find the establishment actually charging 5.20 for a pint and so moved on.

Next we went up to towards town and into Larry Murphy’s - pints were only a fiver but the place is a shithole and we left there after a while.

Then we checked the prices in Toner’s and confirmed the 5.20 price was in sync with other Quinn Group establishments like our former local The 51, The Waterloo and The Landsdowne Hotel.

We went into Doheny and Nesbitt’s and had a couple there before moving to O’Donoghue’s and I think prices were above a fiver in each place but I actually can’t recall now and then we went into town.

So basically, the only place on Baggot Street with pints a fiver or less is Larry Murphy’s and no way am I making that place my local.

All this means we’re going to check out Ranelagh in the next week or so and we’re edging towards that area as our insistence remains that a pint in your local should be no more than a fiver.

It’s alright paying a bit extra in a super pub for the last hour on a Friday night but not in the pub on a Tuesday evening.

Never, never, never.

McSorleys in Ranelagh could be the shout, although I’ve only ever been in there on a Friday night. I think the pints are a fiver at most but open to correction.

€5.50 for a pint of Cider in Bruxelles last nite, I hate being raped!

The jungle juice is always dearer than lager though.

Ah yeah, €5.50 is rape though, and you can never get a good hint on haught!

We’re pressing ahead with our plans to find a new local in Ranelagh. One of the lads was so bored on Easter Monday that he strolled up there and went into the different pubs to check their price listings, whether there was a food menu and if the TV screens were big enough. The research found that prices for a pint of lager in the 5-6 establishments were either €4.80 or €4.90 and some of the venues had an all-day food menu too. It’s looking quite promising but the next step is to go for a few pints in each of the pubs in order to get a better feel for them.

bandage, do the ranelagh run man

The Hill, Russels, McSorleys, Smyths, Birchalls, Humphreys, on your ear at the end of it…all good boozers with an above average quality of punter

good for celeb spotting too

smyths my fav of the bunch

The food is russells is fairly manky but you’re guaranteed a decent crowd. Have an upstairs beer garden overlooking the main street which is a great on a summers evening but its usually packed.

Birchalls have the best Guinness in Dublin 2.

Smyths is a decent spot with good food - usually a good crowd for sports as well.

McSorleys is my favourite as it was done up recently and the food is excellent. Have more screens than some of the others which usually means they will show multiple events at the same time in different sections of the pub.

Good stuff gentlemen - McSorley’s and Smyth’s seem to be viable options but we’ll investigate further over the coming weeks.

McSorleys definitely the value, was in there again recently and even the totty was decent enough for an out of town location.

Got a text from one of the barmen in the 51, a fellow Wexican, asking me when we were ending our boycott and that the manager was remarking that he misses us taking the piss down there and having a laugh with them. It could be a crucial first step towards a truce, like when the IRA leadership secretly met the British Government, but I refused to back down and said we would continue to make our stand as long as prices remained above a fiver. I await further developments.

Was over in Endinburgh yesterday and the pub culture at lunchtime really amused me. We went into this random pub to grab some lunch and it was pretty full. There was a good number of lads in suits or ‘professionals’ as they’re now referred to having a few pints during their lunch hour. The pub reminded me of The Rovers Return with its ancient patterned carpet and a plethora of slot machines dotted around the place. One professional type lad about 35-years-old came in and got himself a pint before strolling over to play the ‘Fantasy Football Quiz’ machine. He stood at it for about 25 minutes firing money in and getting some back and then got another pint and resumed his game. In fairness it seemed like a cracking game and we were watching him all the time. It was run on a league basis and you picked your EPL team to start. Each fixture you played incorporated 3 multiple choice / Who Wants To Be A Millionaire style questions on football. 3/3 and you got 3 points, 2/3 gave you a draw and 1 or less was a defeat and so on. He was there for well over an hour at it drinking away and it just amused me to think that’s how he spent his lunch. Maybe lunchtime drinking is something we need to introduce here?

Yeah the introduction of lunchtime drinking along with slot machines(not a fizture in most pubs)

Nah fook the slot machines… the definition of tackiness

You go to a pub to have a pint and a chat not to play fooking slot machines…

Not a huge fan of playing pool in pubs either - was in college but not anymore…

Back on topic I paid 4.90 for a pint of Heineken in Sinnotts on the Green on Wednesday night. And what an absolute pint of piss it was as well. It was actually warm…

Why are slot machines the definition of tackiness?

An awful, awful pub and it serves you right for going in there. As the late, great humbug said on here many moons ago, you can never trust a pub that adjoins a shopping centre.