Price of a Pint

I agree that it is awful but that is the Liverpool pub in Dublin. Good atmosphere for Liverpool matches…

I would love to do a correlation between the existence of slot machines in a pub and its level of kipness - somewhere around 100% I would say

You attract the wrong type of personnel with slot machines…

Cannot stand slot machines in pubs. Don’t even like ATMs either, though they can be handy. A pub should be about facilitating the consumption of alcohol and other beverages and associated banter. A lunch menu is fine but it shouldn’t interfere with the pub’s main function and any foodery should be either non-existent or very discrete once it gets to about 6pm. Slot machines are just never acceptable.

100% agreed on the slots, they attract a Nike90 tracksuit kind, not acceptable, end of!

Can’t agree on the grub after 6pm though Rocko. I happen to like something other than salted peanuts or taytos with a few pints in the evening, especially in the summer when 9pm doesn’t feel like evening time. I don’t see how a basket of chips and a few sausages after 6pm for me would do any harm to somebody who wanted to go into a pub for the sole purpose of drinking.

No harm at all as long as it’s discrete. As in it should be secondary to the main purpose of the bar. You don’t want the overwhelming bang off food circulating around the pub. It’s a matter of balance and the drink part should always dominate in a pub.

Price of a pint of lager in Kehoe’s is €4.95, which isn’t bad for a south city centre pub. I still can’t accept €5.20 for a pint of lager and haven’t been back to The 51 since Friday, 14th March, the day the price hike was introduced. Found a cracking boozer yesterday where pints of lager were €5 on the button - it’s the bar in Dublin airport. Beautiful place, great clientele, you’d almost buy a plane ticket just to go through and spend the day there.

The pubs in the Airport are great. Their best feature probably being that no matter what day you go in or what time of day you’re there it always feels like a Friday evening.

went into the local GAA club in Sandyford last night for the first time to have a look at it. Their prices are 3.80 for stout and 4.00 for lager. the arsenal match was on one of the tellys and they said they have all the sky sports channels as well. Social membership is e80 a year. By my calculations I’d need to drink 80 pints to break even and make it worthwhile. I can see that happening so think its a great deal!

I saw an ad for the Laughter Lounge there today and in July they are (to quote) “winding back the clock 10 years to the first Summer we opened with the bar serving at 1998 prices. Yes indeedy every night we will have selected pints and spirits with a mixer at 1998 prices… that’s 2.60 for a pint or 3.90 for a refreshing G & T!!”

went back home yasterday evening for the day that was in it…ended up in the local hadnt been there in about 4 months and was shockd and amazed to find that the pint of heineken was only €3.80…and it was like mothers milk…

In these times of recession you should all go back on the stout, the smoothest drink on the menu to get down the hatch, less on the hangovers the next morrow and more cash in the pocket aswell!

Or just go all out and buy 24 bottles of miller for e20 in your local tesco…!

Gaff parties for me require a 24 bottles of cheap Rolling-Rock or a few cans of Bass at €0.99 a can!

Down the pub though I don’t think there’s any value in any draught drink other than Guinness, everything else is just overpriced muck (that’s probably full of slops aswell).

Gaff parties usually involve wine when Im around. Thats when things get messy, seriously messy. J&B will be my new drink of choice along with a nice Siglo VI

[quote=“Mac”]Not sure of prices but you could always give them a ring and ask!!!

http://www.sandyford.com/company_locator/company_profile.html?id=1443

I also think one of the managers there is a Wexford man Bandage.[/quote]
unfortunately not anymore mac

he moved home and took over pooles porterhouse on the main st in gorey (just in case any of ye are passing !!!)

I had the misfortune to be in zanzibar at the weekend and got stung for .20 for a pint bottle of bulmers

mind you the local, hanlons, isn’t too bad and the food is good as well

maybe you should rename this the rip off pubs name and shame thread

Was drinking in a castle, a castle mark me, in Galway recently. €3.80 for stout, €4 for lager. Compared that to what we’ve to put up with in Dublin…

[quote=“artfoley”]unfortunately not anymore mac

he moved home and took over pooles porterhouse on the main st in gorey (just in case any of ye are passing !!!)
[/quote]

Art, whats his surname or what does he look like? I was in there for food there a couple of Sundays ago and was mighty impressed.

lad by the name of willoughby
bout 5 9 would have been running all around the place on a saturday

I’ve no idea who ye’re talking about here but I may as well clear up the slight confusion I’m feeling at the moment-

Art is he 59 years of age or 5 foot 9 inches?

lol
rock
he’s 5ft 9 rock and 34, !!!

[quote=“therock67”]I’ve no idea who ye’re talking about here but I may as well clear up the slight confusion I’m feeling at the moment-

Art is he 59 years of age or 5 foot 9 inches?[/quote]

Thats your first mistake rock, getting involved in a conversation between 2 wexicans discussing another wexican. Your out of your depth here boy!

You’re right with your second presumption by the way