Protestants

Ever since he moved to Cork and all! Most people go then other way when they marry in.

1 Like

@ChocolateMice does not change. He grows as a human.

We all do… well, most of us.

I thought the bit about making jam and baking and the Aldi cakes was a very pointed reference to the virtue of Protestant thrift and the dangers of Catholic sloth. The cunts think they have a monopoly on jam making and home baking. A more apt distinction would be the nature of the jams made by the respective communities. Catholics generally have to make do with jams that they have to forage, like blackberry or from fruits that thrive on very small holdings like raspberry, whereas Protestants make jams from fruits like greengages, plums and quinces that they grow on the luxurious orchards situated on lands that their planter forebears thieved from the Catholics.

5 Likes

My grandfather would make jam from anything at all that he could find, blackberries, gooseberries, sloes, elderberries etc. He’d also make wine from anything he could find blackberries, gooseberries, sloes, elderberries etc.

My point exactly. Hedgerow jams, the jams of the dispossessed.

1 Like

For sure, they left nothing to waste. Although I’d have to say I couldn’t recommend sloe jam :confounded:

Noted. But for your grandfather’s generation, before the era of importation of oranges and the like the only way to guarantee an intake of vitamin c over the winter and stave off things like rickets was to preserve any kind of fruit they could find.

Very good point. We have moved a long way in 60 years.

Must say that I have liked sloe gin when I have tried it, might have to get a bottle to ensure I like it.

Have a bottle in the kitchen.

You’re not getting it.

I will have to call by and share a glass.

That’s better.

1 Like

Ah he’s not that mean he’ll let you have your own glass surely?

I met one of these today.

They appeared to be sound , but i’m still suspicious.

2 Likes

My da says he could write a book about them. In 1971 he bought the only Catholic farm on a five mile stretch of road. It had only been catholic for 2 generations, and it had been let to tans for a decade- so the assumption was that it would go back to the tans. The elderly lady that owned it had other ideas. Her family had been educated on the property by an elderly protestant minister who was enlightened enough to believe that Catholics could be educated. When he was too old to keep preaching, teaching and farming he took the utterly remarkable decision to sell it to a Catholic family. A hell of a thing to do in the late 1800s.
We’re still blow ins and curiosities but they’re grand neighbours and they’d say the same about us.
The oul lad moved in at the worst of times, there were shots fired, meetings in two orange halls, friendly warnings, support, hostility etc.
When my mother died they directed traffic on the lane, carried the coffin and came to the mass.

28 Likes

He knew my dogs name.

2 Likes

Could be a setup, you’re in the middle of it down there in fairness.

Wouldn’t happen on or near the border they’d sooner have Hitler move in nextdoor, hopefully all that siege mentality shite goes away,and gets v watered down as time goes on,I’ve met the very best people of the Protestant faith, but by fuck the bitter bastard’s more than make up for any enlightenment

Why do people link being Protestant to the orange order?

Orange order = Protestant
This is correct (afaik)

Protestant = Orange order
This is incorrect. There are too many people who are Protestant here in Ireland who aren’t even related to the Orange order. Linking both is just lazy. And Protestants here in the south don’t do lazy.

4 Likes

Was Dr Doolittle a Protestant? :thinking: