Pubs opening

Keeping pubs closed

The data used to justify the continued closure of pubs, compiled for the government by EY Consultancy, was published over the weekend. This is an extremely important document as it will be used to justify the government’s decision for the foreseeable future. It’s for that reason we are studying the document in detail and will issue a strong rebuttal of the findings this week.

In the meantime, our initial analysis of the data is as follows:

The EY data states that when ‘wet’ pubs opened on 21st September there was an increase in the number of people infected exactly 10 days later. Dublin, where ‘wet’ pubs never opened, did not experience such an increase so Government said this was proof ‘wet’ pubs were to blame.

This is flawed logic for a number of reasons.

1. The opening of wet pubs was not an isolated event. Students returned to university cities at the same time and county finals took place all over the country.

2. The growth in those counties with universities was three times the rate in non-university counties. We know that students are not major frequenters of pubs.

3. The data states the growth in the infection rate in Dublin is 33% lower than in other counties. Dublin went up by 2 cases per day per 100,000 of population on the 14 day average. The rest of the country went up by 3. Is I case per 100,000 per day sufficient to put 25,000 jobs in danger? It’s also important to remember that Dublin went into Level Three lockdown on 18th September (closing indoor food establishments) so that could explain why the rate of infection was not as pronounced in Dublin – the capital was in a stricter level than the rest of the country for the period EY is analysing.

4. They picked out 3 counties – Meath, Cavan and Galway. In each of the 26 counties there would have been about 6 county finals between football and hurling. That adds up to just over 150 county finals and there are 2 teams (losers also drown their sorrows). We have to put our hands up and say that in some instances pubs did not meet the standards required but it was a very small number. I know in one of those counties the big celebrations were in a Registered Club. But we all know the vast majority of celebrations took place in private house. We know of major celebrations in shebeens including one that went very public and was closed by the Gardaí. We also know of one where the only pub in the village and sponsor of the team actually closed his premises from Friday to Tuesday to ensure safety.

As mentioned, this is the initial analysis. We will be pushing back hard on this report over the coming days and will keep you fully informed of progress.

Pubs re-opening this Friday

It is the responsibility of Fáilte Ireland to publish the reopening guidelines. We spoke to them today and the message is they hope to have the guidelines published tomorrow but it’s likely to be Wednesday.

As things stand, we know the following:

• The food must be prepared on site inside the premises
  • You can have up to 6 people at a table from up to 6 households
  • The €9 rule still applies
  • No live or loud music
  • Face masks must be worn by staff
  • The same social distancing rules as previously
  • Opening/closing time remains the same (11.30pm closing)

We are seeking urgent clarity about kitchens: how will a kitchen be defined for the purposes of the guidelines etc.

Keep them closed.

From the VFI?

Yes

It’s absolutely criminal what’s being done to ye.

Blaming the GAA and suggesting students don’t go to pubs :grinning:

If NPHET came out with that :grinning:

1 Like

The vintners make NPHET look like the hope foundation

Is the time limit nonsense definitely gone for this weekend in food pubs?

If you are two metres apart.

I wonder what way the Dublin pubs will operate.

A lot of them only taking walk ins. Will they kick people out after 2 hours to try sell more substantial meals?

I’m trying to book a pub in Dublin City for the all Ireland and it’s tricky finding a place so far.

Would you be back in Limerick in time for the potential celebrations though? If they won I’d imagine in the circumstances that it would be better to enjoy the celebrations in Limerick.

Probably one of the big outdoor places is your best bet - the Living Room etc

1 Like

Nope I won’t be back. I dunno what it’ll be like to be honest in limerick I know the footballers had a grand night celebrating the division four win I presume the hurlers can arrange something similar. Dunno what will happen with fans to be honest. I presume the guards will be all over the city ?? Maybe I’m wrong??? Waterford won’t cope anyway For sure if they win.

Yes it would be important to be back in Limerick for the celebrations

6 Likes

Seemed to be decent socially distanced celebrations in Tipp and Cavan after their provincial successes.

I don’t know why they’re even bothering playing the match

2 Likes

Pin that one to your internet dressing room door

5 Likes

Waterford hardly have 2 fans to rub together. They are the worst supported top tier hurling county and it isn’t even close. They’ll be alright I’d say.

Hes from wexford