Pubs opening

Yep, I remember it on the Monday alright. I was barely functioning after the Sunday night. That final set was something else.

Depends what you mean by big. It would have been on the same day as one of Kilkenny’s ritual disembowelling of Wexford in Leinster finals.

3 Likes

I miss Eddie Hearn off the Sky too😪

I recall vividly hearing that Becker had won in 85 while queuing in Lennox’s after the Munster final

It was great craic trying to get a reception for Five Live on the bus up through all these Ulster shitholes. You’d go through Cookstown or Magherafelt and you’re twiddling with the radio and can just about make out Ivanisevic has gone 2 sets to 1 ahead. Then you’d look out and see the telegraph poles, every second one with a Union Jack flying from it and every other second pole with a big poster for Lisa Lashes or Judge Jules playing some gig the following Saturday or the Saturday just gone at some Ye Olde Mid-Ulster club venue. A land of marches, motorbikes and yokes.

Tennis on the radio is bizarre. Five Live actually used to do tennis commentaries live. They might still do it for all I know. Imagine snooker on the radio except it’s that snooker shoot out and you’re getting a little bit close to what it’s like.

Yeah, one of those epic Nadal-Federer Wimbledon finals was on the same day as a Wexford-Kilkenny Leinster Final. 2008 you say @Cheasty? Wexford got a right hiding that day. I remember watching the tennis in Quinn’s with my great pal @LetterkennyMan, Caroline & Ruth. I’ve actually lost touch with Caroline since she moved to Scotland a few years back. Must give her a shout next time I’m in the Borders area to catch a club rubby game. Wimbledon final was usually a Leinster Hurling Final weekend alright but sure now the two provincial hurling finals are on the same day/weekend in the microwave split season championship.

As an aside, there was a chap that used to come into the 51 every Sunday to watch the world superbikes & he’d be roaring support of Valentino Rossi. Pre internet match streams I’d come in at 12.30 to watch the appealing Caley Thistle - Celtic clash & he’d be in situ living through the ups & downs of the Czech Grand Prix / Open or something. He’d have been in at opening time as the race may have started at around 11.30 because of time difference or whatever. Go on Rossi. Go on. Go on. You have the line. You have him. Go on. Go on. Yeeeeeeeeeeessssssss.

6 Likes

2008, I think it was a rain affected final so it went on quite late, 8:30pm at least I’d say.

I had a female friend in college who was a massive fan of Moto GP. I could tell her a wee bit about Wayne Rainey and Eddie Lawson and Mick Doohan and these fellas but they were all paralysed or retired by this stage and I no longer had any interest.

Sky used to hype up Carl Fogarty a lot but he was doing Superbikes which I always considered to be an inferior grade to the 500cc championship.

I have a residual respect for that Ulster motorcycle road racing tradition. I think all the races have been pulled this year though and the tin hat has basically been put on the whole thing.

I think there was a bad oul’ accident on the Isle Of Man the other day, the whole thing is obviously insane.

1 Like

Moto GP and Superbikes are different sports

Wexford were surprisingly competitive in the first-half that day. Think there were only 2 points between the teams at half-time which felt like a moral victory of sorts. Then Kilkenny came out upon resumption and fired in a few quick-fire goals to completely kill off the game.

Have recollections of Leinster hurling finals clashing with the final day of The Open championship

1 Like

1991, 1992, 1993 (replay) and 1994. And not once since.

Ah right
Wexford in 92,93 and 94 finals so probably made it seem more regular than it actually was.

It was definitely regular in the 1991-94 period.

1 Like

I was being nice

You weren’t.

I’d say you are seriously unhappy in your personal life to post that.

I’d say it’s very likely the people who liked @mick_jones post beat women.

I watched the last few holes of Padraig Harrington winning The Open in 2007 in Ned Rea’s after getting off the train back to Dublin.

That was my first time laying eyes on the amatuer prize winner, a young Rory McIllroy. As I slugged back to last of my Guinness, I thought to myself, he looks like some prick.

6 Likes

You’re a great man, I love you

1 Like

Tis no wonder pubs are closing.

If you saw this place, tis a nothing pub. And they should have paid €50k (over 5 years) to show the soccer.

The vinters should really have all their members on strike until sky come with something reasonable

2 Likes

The pub had no contract with Sky, and no licence to broadcast the matches, barrister for Sky, MicheĂĄl Munnelly said

That’s the way it has gone I suppose.

They’ll be checking on the licence to show GAA soon no doubt.