Question for the techies

30-40 ft. Can you simplify that for a tech simpleton.

Edit. Actually probably 70-80 ft away from the wifi modem thats at the front of the house.Theres power in the shed if that makes any difference.

About the length of a bus.

14 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes
2 Likes

So something like this

Connect one to the modem
A second one to somewhere near the back door
And the third one in the shed itself.

There’s an app to help you install which is simple.

You might get away with a cheaper solution but a shed can be finicky because it might be on a different electrical circuit. This should be more reliable.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help @Rocko & @KinvarasPassion :+1:

2 Likes

Sorry @Rocko as I posted before I think those €210 mesh systems are an overkill for a standard domestic house. A simple TP-Link wifi extender should work fine.

See my posts above here, and 10 more after it:

If any of the links don’t work get back onto me.

1 Like

Gent, thanks.

Did this during lockdown. The armoured cable cat5 is your only man

1 Like

My experience is different.

I have solid brick internal walls in an old house so that may affect things. But I haven’t been close to replicating the quality I get from mesh with anything else.

And you get additional controls with mesh systems usually to prioritise devices etc.

You said a simple Wi-Fi extender but your link is to a powerline extender. Which is much more likely to be effective. But still might struggle with an external shed and whatever circuit is used.

But yeah it could be overkill. But it also works in situations where other solutions struggle.

A bit of a gamble but the powerline extenders that put WiFi in my workshop works well for me, so I can only recommend the cheaper option.

1 Like

Anyone know why i can get into some sites on only certain Wifi connections and not others.

For example, i can’t get into the Irish Independent using the wifi at home but have no problem over at my folks house using their wifi.

My phone is old by the way

Cos youre only meant to read the indo in your parents house…

14 Likes

do you use the same device in both places?

1 Like

I do indeed

Logical assumption is different router settings, something may be blocking a domain on one. A restart or reconfig of the router might do it.

Failing that its at the ISP level and you’d need to contact them

2 Likes

Burn your parent’s house down and tell them to build it right next time.

1 Like

He’s from Leitrim, I wouldnt rule that out.

My powerline extender in my workshop that provides wifi in my greenhouses went faulty yesterday.
I use the wifi to monitor the temperature. Yesterday of all days :sleepy:

You can probably sue TFK. It may have been your own advice you were reading but that shouldn’t limit the site’s resonsibilities.

1 Like