Question for the techies

That’s a very general sounding problem. What are the symptoms? What is happening to the wifi? Are these devices all wifi enabled? Have you restarted the router?

Is there a difference between a router and a booster?

Sorry I really have no idea when it comes to these things?

If by router you mean the Vodafone box thingy, yes I have. The dream box is stalling intermittently. The wife got a new laptop for Christmas and when she logs on to WiFi, it seems to take most of the power.
She was in town today for about 4 hours and it all worked perfectly

Sounds like the wife is the problem. If you find a new one the problems will probably go away.

11 Likes

Take the battery out of the router to cool down,then replace.Should do the job.

Will do that.

And a whole set of new ones will appear

Does your dream box take an ethernet cable? Might be best to lighten the load on the WiFi by going direct from router to dream box with a cable. Wired can be more reliable.

1 Like

Good idea. I’ll try to get it sorted tomorrow

I’m having similar problems with Vodafone wifi here. There’s parts of the house that no longer have wifi where before you’d pick it up in any room without any issue. A speed test suggests that the download speed is still strong , above 30 Mbps, but something has definitely happened in the last couple of months. Streaming to the Chromcast can now be patchy and general internet is slowish. Have tried resetting router, changing wifi channel etc to no avail. I’d prefer to change providers than contact Vodafone technical support

I’ve ascertained that it’s definitely the wife’s laptop.
Like I said she was in town today for a few hours and the telly was perfect. She came home, turned on the laptop and the telly died straight away. Turned off the laptop and the TV was fine again.
I can’t get my head around it. She is now watching Netflix on her phone and there’s no issue.
It’s almost like the laptop has said to the TV. “Move over bitch. There’s a new kid in town”

Is anything connected by cable or all over WiFi?

No all over WiFi

Your router might only be able to handle a certain number of connections if it’s an old one.

Yea I think so. I’m not a techie but for some reason the laptop seems to be drawing more then the rest. Not leaving enough for the TV. All phones and tablets etc. are running fine so they obviously don’t need as much as the laptop or tv

As someone else said, always use a cable for Android boxes or the likes. Gives max possible speed

Yea I’ll nip in tomorrow and pick up one. Back at work but it should be quiet enough

Get onto your provider. Tell them to upgrade your infrastructure or you’re off. Pronto.

Make sure all the internal doors are left open too. It’ll help the wireless to travel throughout the building.

5 Likes

That’ll happen too. Misses I M is not impressed and with a lot of sport coming up, the laptop is her escape. (Well that and shopping ) Shell be on the phone in the morning