Question for the techies

4G is surely faster than a crap fixed line speed of 1M? And an expensive and crap sat signal of 2.5M?

The amount of transceivers attached. Some cluster on single masts, say for different areas of coverage (on a hill point one north and put one on the other side pointing south). Some providers share masts atvthe same location, some lease them, some put up their own.

Seeing one on a mast near you doesn’t mean it’s pointing your way, and even if it is, it doesn’t mean your phone will connect to it. With a suitable router and the right antenna you can circumvent this though.

Do a bit of digging.

Maybe so

Sure Signal is really easy to set up. Just plug it in and connect it to your broadband modem and we do the rest. To benefit from Sure Signal, you need:

poor or no mobile coverage in your office or home
a 3G handset
a fixed broadband connection with a speed of 1Mbps or higher

Try one of the shops @Appendage - one that has a small business counter. They’re not totally clueless and might steer you if it’ll work ok or not. If you get someone particularly helpful they might let you borrow one to try it out. They let me

Basic question, just making sure we have things right. On the Eir fixed line stuff…
Were you told you’re too far away from your exchange? Or do you know that to be a fact?
This map is very useful https://www.eir.ie/broadband/coverage-map/
If you are 5KM+ away from an exchange that’s cool and proceed as you were.
The map may show you planned future exchanges in your area too.

Reason I’m asking is these lads make mistakes all the time and connect people to the wrong exchange. Last year I had Eir tell me I’m connected to an exchange 8km away despite the fact that I could hit the local exchange with a tennis ball from my front door. Do any of your cave dwelling neighbours have fixed line? If so do you know what speeds they get? I had to give Eir/Sky a little kick to make them sort their shit out and connect me to the right exchange.

About the 4G you get in the attic…
Is there anyway you can bounce that around the house? Thinking maybe homeplug? How do you connect to the 4G in your attic? A Vodafone dongle? Or a little router?

Got this in the post today. Works great. Comes with a short micro usb cable to charge it. Obviously you’ll need a aux port for it to work

2 Likes

I must get one of those for herself.
Sound quality ok?

Yeah perfect. Im not sure if it needs to be connected to power all the time or if it holds a charge.Ill find out in a bit and report back.

Get her one of these as well so she can still charge the phone

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Black-USAMS-3-1A-Dual-USB-in-Car-Charger-Socket-Adapter-Apple-Samsung-iPhone-/162590693648?hash=item25db291910:g:n1kAAOSwcx5ZaIPG

1 Like

No, it’s shit. That’s why he said it’s great. FFS sake.

1 Like

No Becks on the 51 tonight?

1 Like

What a roller coaster of a day. After discovering the 4G upstairs in the attic last night I went and ordered a 4G modem from my good friends in Eir.

I’ve just had a chance to go into the attic with an Eir mobile and there is barely 2G let along 4G. So that’ll be another wasted trial.

Looks like Vodafone is the only option at this stage as the 4G was discovered on the Vodafone network.

Just don’t turn it up too loud for fear that you might shit yourself.

1 Like

Very good

Well done on ignoring every single bit of advice this thread gave you mate.

5 Likes

Try a three SIM card and see what coverage you can get.

They have unlimited data for 20 a month

Have you tried the option involving your thumb?

2 Likes

He’d probably ignore the advice not to suck his thumb after.

1 Like

Might help with phone calls but he’ll have to stick his whole fist up there to get 4G

He could insert a coat hanger as an aerial

Just ordered this. I’m expecting great things.

Now you just need a car and you’ll be sorted when you go off to college

2 Likes