Question for the techies

Get a Chromebook. Cheap, perfect for web browsing and no anti virus hassle

2 Likes

you’d want your head examined to be spending more than 200 pound on something to mess around on the inetrnet or watch a movie

3 Likes

the pure solid finest

Fyp

1 Like

I’m happy paying a few quid more for an apple product. A mate of mine has only had apple models the last few years and updates them every so often and is very happy with them. He says they do all the antivirus for you, they have excellent screen resolution, they are lightweight and easy to use, but also tough that if you drop they don’t crack easily. Unless someone can put me off i’ll fork out the extra for an Apple model.

Make sure you look at what ports are on the model you choose.

If you buy something with just USB C ports you’ll be carrying dongles around with you

How so? Why would i need a dongle?

http://www.currys.ie/Product/apple-macbook-air-133-2017/343959/401.0.1

This one has 2 USB 3.0 ports which would be the ones you’re used to.

Other models which are a bit more expensive just have 4 of the USB C ports. On these models you’ll need to get a dongle if you want to plug in a USB device or connect it to a larger display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XSC_UG5_kU

Bloody hell that’s unbelievable. So you can’t use a USB cable to stream netflix from the laptop onto the TV without a dongle? :laughing: Is that just with the MacBooks or Ipads too?

@Smark, just get a Chromebook and be done with it. If @Tassotti and I agree on it you know it has to be the right solution.

2 Likes

Basically yeah, them dongles are about 80 euro too I think.

Have a look at the chromecast if you want to stream Netflix from the iPad to the TV

If you’re happy with the Google OS and the google apps then get a Chromebook.

1 Like

I’m looking at a home mesh system, namely the ubiquiti Infinity system.
Can I just plug the Internet cable into it?
My BT hub is fucked and I don’t want to have to use it at all if I buy the new system.

Would a couple of TPLink Home Plugs not do it for you?
Easy setup to extend wifi into empty areas.

I don’t understand, if your BT hub is bad, why not just get it replaced as I assume its acting as your router?

It is, but it’s not even that old. I got rid of BT as a provider as they were rubbish and the signal kept dropping, so need to get my own now. I have a range extension already, but it’s the router that seems to be the problem. Maybe BT are interfering with it out of pique. I’m not sure.

Have home plugs at home. Very handy for getting a wired connection for the Android Box or PC in another room etc.

I’m guessing it’s more wireless capabilities you’re looking for?

You can get home plugs with the WiFi Access Point built in too. Think is with the Home Plugs have the wifi Built in. You’ll have multiple Wireless networks. If going from room to another that may get annoying

Well if you’re not with BT anymore what function has the router/hub?
Can’t you just take it out and go with the new modem and existing extenders?

The existing extender is a BT one.
What’s the difference between a modem and a router??

Can anyone help me out here?

Modems generally just have 1 Ethernet port in them so they can connect to a router. A router will be able to transmit Wifi and have multiple Ethernet ports on them.

If you have a modem most people end up having a router connected to the modem. A router will do what a modem can and more