Racism Continued

The fact he wouldn’t be considered ethnically Irish I guess even though they are obviously trolling him, is there not a difference between Irish ethnicity and Irish citizenship? Social media is poison though

But again, are you making the point that no black person can ever consider themselves Irish? These are people who are saying he isn’t Irish because he is black, not because of citizenship.

Well black people can obviously be Irish citizens, but not have Irish ethnicity. But they can absolutely consider themselves to be Irish but it’s two different things There is a distinction that is independent from nationality and they are using to wind him up online, he should just ignore it. If I move to Athens for ten years, I might become a Greek citizen, but I won’t ever be considered Greek.

Shur you could have a black child. They’d be as Irish as you.

Of course, they’d be Irish citizens.

They’d be Irish.

Correct

What’s Irish ethnicity mate?

There is obviously nobody who isn’t racist who would even attempt to justify abuse on the grounds that someone might not be “ethnically” Irish. It’s a nonsensical and irrelevant point.

It’s another awful example of the efforts some racist posters will go to, to explain away or attempt to qualify the binary nature of racism being unjustifiable. And when they make a mess of that argument their suggestion is the victim should ignore it.

3 Likes

I’m not sure why I’m bothering going down this rabbit hole, but it’s not two distinct things. People aren’t telling him he isn’t Irish because of ethnicity or citizenship, they’re saying he isn’t because he is black. It’s judgement on his skin colour. And if someone born here, raised here and part of this country happens to be black, they are Irish. Not some sort of separation that they have to distinguish themselves just because their great, great grandfather or whatever wasn’t born here. At what stage does a black person be allowed to consider themselves “ethnically Irish” in your two distinctions? Or can they ever consider themselves truly Irish?

But they are Irish once they have a passport,born here etc. But there is a distinction between that and ethnicity. Unless you are claiming there is no such thing as ethnicity? Or what’s historically been considered Irish ethnicity? If two polish people move to Ireland and live here 50 years they would undoubtedly get passports, vote,kids play gaa etc but if you asked them in 50 years what there background was would they say polish but living in Ireland 50 years, or say Irish? Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Algerian etc are all ethnicities that are seen to exist

What is Irish ethnicity? Which group of people?

There you have it, maroonandshite posting that a person cannot be considered ethnically Irish because they are black.

That’s racist.

There you are you stupid racist gobshite, bookmark that one for the next time you ask for an example of your racist bilge.

You also don’t understand what the word ethnicity means, you stupid stupid fucker.

I’m not sure why you continue to ignore it, I’ve said it multiple times now. No one is separating ethnicity and citizenship only you. He considers himself Irish. People think he isn’t Irish because he is black. There is no way you can tell a person they aren’t Irish just by the colour of their skin, which is what is happening here. He shouldn’t have to distinguish his history, if he consider his family Irish, why should we create a distinction to tell him it’s not really Irish?

1 Like

Part Indo-European, part Egyptian, part Iberian, part Norman, part Viking, part English, part Scots… that’s someone who is ethnically Irish.

1 Like

But not black according to this gobshite

1 Like

Well the Egyptians were dark. That’s where I get my olive skin from.

And your movie star looks

I always thought your crowd were dark because of a link to Spain

Thomas can you tell me if Irish emigrants to usa in the 19th century were more middle class as @Tank thinks or more landless types?