Radiohead

One of my small regrets in life was missing a Radiohead gig in the Olympia to play a championship game. As it turned out i was dropped. I was seething when told how good they were

2 Likes

Yeah, completely different class. I really enjoyed OK Computer too. I never really dug too deep into what Yorke was getting at in the lyrics but it sounded deep anyway :grin:

There was a time and place for Radiohead music thoughā€¦ Youā€™d get these cunts coming into house parties with their guitars trying to suck every last piece of crack out of the place with their versions of street spirit. I pelted the door of a washing machine at a cunt one night when he turned off the Josh Wink CD and started belting out Fake Plastic Trees.

9 Likes

Having dismissed them as shit as they came out, I gave Kid A, Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief a second chance. They blew me away.

Granted, I was recovering from a fairly major surgery and on heavy pain meds at the time, so it could have been the druqks. But, the fact that I still reach for Kid A ahead of most of their other releases tells me thereā€™s more to it. Itā€™s a 5-star album and if you didnā€™t like it then (16 fucking years ago :eek:), it surely deserves another shot.

3 Likes

@KinvarasPassion is John Belushi!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8V_hCqO6UQs

1 Like

Nah, dr cox

2 Likes

Thatā€™s good! Wouldnā€™t be that familiar with scrubs, but when he mentioned guitar and house party, my mind went to only one placeā€¦

Thereā€™s a beacon going off somewhere at present, give him time, heā€™ll come.

Donā€™t get me wrongā€¦ Itā€™s a great album but by 2000 Iā€™d moved on at that stage to rap music and the likes and it didnā€™t have much impact on me.

Its just that @KinvarasPassion is probably closer to fitness freak John c McGinley than fat coke fiend john belushi

1 Like

Going for a 20 minute driveā€¦

Letā€™s have another go.

1 Like

I hear you - I was into heavy metal, and Tool was as light as it got for me. But Radiohead are special.

Iā€™ll go further. Iā€™ll go through their albums.

Pablo Honey: Meh
The Bends: Some excellent songs but overrated
OK Computer: Excellent but not the best album of all time as it has been rated.
Kid A: Interesting
Amnesiac: Excellent first half but poor second half
Hail To the Thief: One of their best songs in There There but otherwise only middlinā€™
In Rainbows: Their best album. Brilliant.
Kings of Limbs: Rather uninspiring

1 Like

I knew you wouldnt let me down pal.

And this new song?

Whatever you think yourself mate.

I donā€™t want to sound like a know-it-all

:eek:

Pablo Honey: Couple of good songs but generally shit
Bends: Very good for its time but has not aged well. Godrichā€™s production missing
Ok Computerl Superb. Music/artwork/videos all eerie brilliance. Many have tried to emulate it. None have succeeded.
Kid A: What an album. Probably my favourite. Great depth to it.
Amnesiac: Brilliance
Hail To The Thief: Good songs but not up to usual standards. Finished too quickly and paid for that.
In Rainbows: Excellence but balance on album not quite right. Disc 2 is exceptional.
KOL: Some very good songs but not adventurous enough.

Song: Burn The Witch. A belter. Innovative, superb music and exceptional lyrics. Excited for new album. Great Orwellian video/artwork too. Jonnyā€™s influence clearly heavy.

Hoping Identikit features on new album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sRWQ5BhYcE

3 Likes

The true test of any band is the quality of their live performance. Radiohead are one of the few who can transcend their studio albums in that regard. My personal album ratings would be: Kid A, In Rainbows, OK Computer, Amnesiac, Bends, HTTT, KOL and Pablo Honey. OK Computer is so overrated itā€™s a challenge to get motivated to listen to it, but incredibly rewarding after not hearing it for a while. In a weird way they now remind me of the Doors, a band you could forget about for years and be blown away all over again when you rediscover them.

For anyone wanting to revisit the band, the 0110 playlist of OK Computer and In Rainbows is worth a listen. Start with Airbag and alternate tracks, except Fitter Happier follows Karma Police followed by Faust Arp.

1 Like

ā€œI might be wrongā€ was a good live album - short, but good. A bit like Tyrion Lannister.

1 Like

:eek: :ronnyroar:

1 Like

Was at that too KP, brilliant they were. As I remember it they played for a long time, we were soaking when we got back to the brothers gaff. Massive Attack had some of their gear impounded by customs which is why the sound was shit for them (or so someone I know involved in the production told me later), which was hugely disappointing as you couldnā€™t hear a fucking thing with them. I remember meeting one of my college classmates outside, he was wearing a sports jacket and a tweed hat, as if on his way to Punchestown, with his girlfriend (now wife), they were going up to take their seats under cover and sniggering at us heading to the field. Off I went thinking my classmate wasnā€™t quite seeing the irony of his fervent pursuit of middle class respectability with attending a Radiohead gig on the OK Computer tour.
The new song, after about five listens is underwhelming musically, lyrically brilliant. Iā€™m sure in a month or two Iā€™ll think itā€™s one of the greatest pieces of music ever recorded, as so often is the case with this band.

2 Likes