Random Hurling Team of the 90''s as Selected by Nobodies

All bar one from the West of Ireland.

FFS.

End the debate

1 Like

2 ???

Eugene Cloonan and Kevin Broderick were surely considered?

Fagan

Ye wouldn’t let that crew select the junior B team in Mount Sion .

3 Likes

SBB :rage:

yeah 99 was Deane’s break through year allright and himself , Seanie MacGrath and Ben O Connor used to wreck havoc - ably assisted by Alan Brown and Niall Ronan and Kevin Murray from the bench
i suppose those lads all came from the minor team of 95 that went on to win the hat trick of under 21 all ireland;s - he was unreal allright but wouldnt have him on a team of the 90s as he was more 00’s

Kevin Murray “being great for a goal” was a real cliche at the time - big man from Cloughduv with number 22 usually

2 Likes

just looking at that
who the fuck is michael coleman and how is Pilkington not on it?

5 Likes

Cleary was more 90’s though, Cleary about 10 years older, last game for Tips was probably 97 final v Clare

1 Like

No Kevin Murray - see above

Without trying to take anything from McMahon I’d have Corcoran as my centre back every time, he’s the only Cork player of the 90s I’d select if you look at the entire decade which is odd since they won 2 all Ireland’s.
Barry Egan was a fine hurler but was unlucky to have played during those mid 90s when Cork were worse than shit, there was fellas you’d have played underage club or Harty against and wouldn’t have thought much of them playing championship for Cork

the galway crowd would have done some boooing if they were looking on at 15 lads from other counties traipsing out onto the field

michael coleman is a pure token selection, he was a serious mullocker

corocoran just wouldnt have played enough games of consequence in the 90’s maybe
altho you could argue cork played in more all irelands than clare if comparing to macmahon ( he wasnt involved in 1990 of course) - played RCB in 92 and CB in 99
= it was was a vastly different cork team from 92 when he was at RCB to 99 when he was at center back,
there is certain mystey eyed tweeism tho when then 90’s are remembered , it is whittled down to an ere of 94-98 , anything either side is written and clare will always get preference
corocoran probably didnt play enoiugh games at CB in that decade tho but yeah streets ahead of Macmahon

anyone have a go at naming the cork team v limerick in 1994 that played in the rain in the Gaelic Grounds… at our low ebb- altjo 96 was the lowest
@caoimhaoin
@fenwaypark

agreed

with the exception of Ciaran Carey, I would have selected him ahead of everyone else in midfield\half forward line. Johnny Pilkington, Declan Ryan in hard luck too

Did Declan Ryan ever play at 14 in the 1990s? If so, I d put him at 14, DJ in the corner and hard luck Skippy Cleary

He did against Waterford in PuC in 98

Aidan Ryan was always a smashing substitute.

Played for three All-Ireland-winning teams managed by Babs Keating - Tipperary 1989 and 1991 and Offaly 1998.

Up your game pal. If the last day or two is your best effort at rattling us, yere fucked Sunday. It’ll be over after 10 minutes.

He was at Barrs at that stage. Scored a critical point if I remember correctly.

Ya I used to match up very well with Brian O Keeffe and probably outplayed him once or twice. But then I was nowhere near a county side and he captained an AI winning Minor team.
Match ups are funny things in ways.

The hurling in 90/91/92 was far superior to the 94-98 period, Offaly the exception. Clare physicality was a game changer.

Cunningham
Seanie Gorman John o Driscoll AN Other
Timmy Keller Brian Corcoran McGuckian
Seanie Mac Brendan O sullivan
Barry egan Mark mullins David Quirked
Kev Murray Ger Manley AN Other