Random Hurling Team of the 90''s as Selected by Nobodies

Oh the ironing!

odd decade for hurling
after losing to KK in the 92 AIF Cork didnt win a game of championship hurling again until they beat waterford in June 99 and won an all ireland (ok there was a win v kerry on FA cup saturday in tralee in 1995 and league wins in 93 and 98)
the positioning of Corcoran at corner back is incorrect also- he hurled there in 92 AIF but was cork center back from then really until 2000 when Ronan Curran took over - he returned in a cameo Full forward roll from 2004-2006
cc @caoimhaoin

itll be remembered for some desperately poor quality hurling - 1995/96 all ireland final are the poorest i can remember - up there with 2015 and 1987
cc @Sidney

Beat Limerick in 98 mate. Lost to Clare afterwards.

1 Like

ah fk it they did
i was doing the leaving

@Elvis_Brandenberg_Kr
it was a messy end after 1996 for ye
i remember 97 v Tipp been poor enough, that’s a first round defeat so in 98 v cork and who was it beat limerick in 99, tipp or clare in first round?

Tipp

Waterford beat us by a point.

conflicting reports here…

Waterford beat us 1-16 to 1-15 in 1999. Marked the last appearances of Dave Clarke, Mike Houlihan and Gary Kirby in a Limerick jersey.

Begley was at full-back iirc, it was definitely Waterford though. I was young but it was the first Championship I really remember anticipating.

I loved 1998, but I was very young, but it was where I really fell in love with hurling and then really looked forward to 99.

in the park - yes good man - it was a dull sunday in may - i had a maths exam the next day and i went off out playing a junior championship game in east cork that evening against castlemartyr which we lost in ballinacurra- i remember it as i received a “warning” or “tick” from the ref for a professional type foul- it was the first year they brought that in

That’s it.

Although Joe Quaid played championship in 2000, he says himself that 99 was the end as his nerve had gone after losing a testicle. Paul Flynn cut in from an angle for Waterford’s goal and Quaid in his own words “turned my arse to it”

Cregan was manager and was starting a rebuild based around the 21s that were starting to come through. Begley and Geary made their championship debuts that day and 2000 saw the introduction of Lucey and David Stapleton.

2 Likes

which led on then to two brilliant games in cork in 2001 - the wins over cork and waterford
Foley’s sideline that day was something else down under the covered stand, the fucking heat in the stadium was unreal, a flat calm, heavy humid sunday, place packed - the place had its failings but on occasions like that it couldnt be beat

1 Like

people go on about the quality of the 96 final, they seem to forget it was 15 on 14 for the entire second hal…the greatest defensive display in all ireland final.

bar none.

5 Likes

Look at the collection of cunts who picked the team. :man_facepalming:

The selectors were: John Horan (Uachtarán CLG), Martin Breheny (Irish Independent), Sean Moran (Irish Times), Michael Lyster (RTÉ TV), Brian Carthy (RTÉ Radio), Jim O’Sullivan (formerly Irish Examiner), Martán Ó Ciardha (Iar RnaG), Sean Bán Breathnach (RnaG).

4 Likes

:rofl:

easy see how there was a galwegian picked…

But Fox did his best hurling in the late 80s, got HOTY admittedly in '91 but that was it for him really. Cleary was class, All Star 90,91,92,93

1 Like

You are right about Corcoran. But what’s the option, not pick him? He was so ridiculous in 92/93 that corner back was already sown up.

But Seanie Mac was a slightly better centre back. Now that may largely have to do with his excellent supporting cast. But still he was the no.6 of the 90’s

Had Cork been any use at all Barry Egan would be a star. I bet you lads here hardly know who he is.

Deano v. Cleary is an interesting one. Both were really good in other decades but over lap at maybe wrong ti e (and either end)

Deano was immense in 99. But he only found his consistency after that and was almost Un mark able for a while

1 Like

Would you have Billy Byrne down for impact sub @Bandage?

1 Like