Rats

Generally rats aren’t a problem this time of year as there is plenty of food around. So if they are causing a problem somewhere locally it is probably due to disturbed ground. Is there any building or digging going on around locally? If so that’s the source of the problem.

With that info you can determine where they came from, who poisoned them and plan accordingly.

I’d doubt he was going to go scatter the poison in the sand box or the swing set, but probably think of using a key safe bait box, which would be a fairly safe alternative than letting his kids play with rat poison.

cement and oatmeal

No. Yorkshire would be way better. Or Jack Russell.
Staffy’s are actual placid enough unless trained other wise

[QUOTE=“habanerocat, post: 1157771, member: 1513”]Generally rats aren’t a problem this time of year as there is plenty of food around. So if they are causing a problem somewhere locally it is probably due to disturbed ground. Is there any building or digging going on around locally? If so that’s the source of the problem.

With that info you can determine where they came from, who poisoned them and plan accordingly.[/QUOTE]

mmmm they were right out in the open, would they die that suddenly from the poison or would they go to hide - close together which seems random - somebody has thrown them over the wall I am starting to think. That gives me a different sort of problem but I am more comfortable dealing with human rats.

due to start building work myself soon so I will repay the compliment

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1157778, member: 273”]No. Yorkshire would be way better. Or Jack Russell.
Staffy’s are actual placid enough unless trained other wise[/QUOTE]

kids are at me for a dog - the wife’s family have labs and labrapoodles, temperament is brilliant they are very big - what’s a good medium sized dog for kids

Springer spaniels, beagles. Hounds basically. Brilliant with kids, placid but can be fiercely protective. Which is 90% of the time a good thing. However introduction to other kids who may be around is very important. Kids playing can be mistaken for fighting or threatening behaviors which any dog could react to in protecting a child. Or they may think it’s play and get involved. Most pups expressed with chewing so they coul nip a child without any real intent. But you’t want to be very unlucky.
Do a good bit of research on how much exercise is needed. I have a German Shepard who needs 3 walks a day or a run & walk. I knew that an I’m a bit flexible, but some people don’t realise this.

German Shepards are an unbelievable dog for what it’s worth. The pup, who is 6 months opens & closes doors, even entry doors.

Seriously btw, greyhounds make lovely pets.

Woof

You’ll never get a better pet for a family than a well bred lab. Outstanding animals, but they shed like fuck and the amount of shite they produce defies belief. And they are regal by character so don’t expect them to demean themselves by chasing vermin.

1 Like

Outstanding post.:clap::clap:

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1157788, member: 273”]Springer spaniels, beagles. Hounds basically. Brilliant with kids, placid but can be fiercely protective. Which is 90% of the time a good thing. However introduction to other kids who may be around is very important. Kids playing can be mistaken for fighting or threatening behaviors which any dog could react to in protecting a child. Or they may think it’s play and get involved. Most pups expressed with chewing so they coul nip a child without any real intent. But you’t want to be very unlucky.
Do a good bit of research on how much exercise is needed. I have a German Shepard who needs 3 walks a day or a run & walk. I knew that an I’m a bit flexible, but some people don’t realise this.

German Shepards are an unbelievable dog for what it’s worth. The pup, who is 6 months opens & closes doors, even entry doors.[/QUOTE]
Beagles can be a nuisance tho no? The fuckers are over active with that nose of theirs…

@Fagan ODowd[/USER] [USER=273]@caoimhaoin what do you make of a Tibetan Terrier - the wife reckons a beagle would be gone if the door was left open

Labs are great dogs alright. Seem to be tortured by arthritis in their later years.

@Fagan ODowd the bauld Saydie had a lovely mouse outside the patio door for me this evening, what a ripper.

Is Saydie the wife or the cat?

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1157824, member: 2272”]@Fagan ODowd[/USER] [USER=273]@caoimhaoin what do you make of a Tibetan Terrier - the wife reckons a beagle would be gone if the door was left open

Labs are great dogs alright. Seem to be tortured by arthritis in their later years.[/QUOTE]
That can happen to humans too.

The cat… I ain’t married, yet.

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1157824, member: 2272”]@Fagan ODowd[/USER] [USER=273]@caoimhaoin what do you make of a Tibetan Terrier - the wife reckons a beagle would be gone if the door was left open

Labs are great dogs alright. Seem to be tortured by arthritis in their later years.[/QUOTE]
True on Beagle, you need good security.
If you want a complete hassle free, vet free healthy dog for 12-14 years then you need to get a hound cross breed. You can feed them anything, they never get sick. Like humans the more cross breeding the more resilience they have.

The auld yarn about putting two rats in a barrel for a few days and then letting the hungrier rat loose to eat the rest of the rats in the area is interesting.

get a move on.