Ravenous Part Deux, the cheap likes thread

I’m not impressed with the slow cooker at all I must say.

I was inside in a mates place the other night and he thre up the grub out of a yoke called a pressure cooker. I have a vague recollection of the mother having one 20 years ago. He said the pressure cooker does in an hour what the slow cooker does in 8

Throw up your stew recipe there. Made a nice chicken honey and ginger dish yesterday .

Set the slow cooker to high. Finely chop onion, celery & garlic, into the slow cooker for a few minutes with a bit of oil.Fresh thyme, sprig of rosemary and a few bay leaves.Then throw in your veg. A couple of spoons of flour and stir it all up. Tin of tomatoes, beef stock and tomatoe puree. Shot of Worcestershire sauce. Then let it cook away on high for 4/5 hours.

2 Likes

I made a fantastic French onion soup from scratch today. It’s a Marcus Wareing recipe that I’ve used a few times. It’ll do me for lunch until Wednesday.
The king of soups.

1 Like

Beef stew with no beef. Very innovative but I’m not sure it will catch on

2 Likes

:grinning:

It’s called a Cavan Stew.

2 Likes

You’re going to have onion soup four days in a row? :confused:

I also made two loaves of brown bread and a carrot and corriander soup for lunch this week.

I didn’t have it today, just a taste to check. Like a good Stew it’ll improve overnight.
Why the fuck wouldn’t I eat it three days in a row, it’s fucking gorgeous.

Calm down you drama queen.

1 Like

Eating the same reheated soup for days on end just isn’t for me pal.

i always thought soup was a healthy and low cost lunch option but never felt it would fill me up mate

Good point and may yet come to pass. I’ve never done that before but it’s a bit of a luxury and took a lot of making. I could well become sick of it but I doubt it.
I will be eating other items throughout the workday as well @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy but I appreciate your concern mate.

It must have taken super human will power from you not to chance a bowl today.

1 Like

You could try making what are known as filler soups if you plan on it being your only lunch time item. I would generally had a sandwich with my soup.

Tried doing something similar with red lentils before but it was gick.

Any recipes for filler soups?

Hiya mate. I sometimes add some rice to my soups which fills me up. I usually add plenty of garlic, chillies and black pepper to my soups so they’re nice and spicy. You can almost pretend you are having a curry for your lunch!

Cheers mate.great idea

1 Like

Would lots of soup not give you the trots?

Some of these lads would be right at home in the poor house

2 Likes